Red Stars Head Coach Emma Hayes is in San Francisco this week watching Stanford, UCLA, USC, USF, and Santa Clara women’s soccer teams play. I thought it would be fun to ask her the WPS series of “Off the Field” questions we collect from the players. Hey, coaches have favorite TV shows and i-pod apps, too!
1. What are the three things you can never be without while traveling?
– My i-phone (Follow up: Q: Favorite App. A: At the moment, Air Hockey)
– A good read (Follow up: Q: Best Book you’ve read recently. A: White Tiger by Aravind Adiga)
– My i-pod (Follow up: Q: Recent artist. A: Crazy P, I can’t stop listening to it – and MGMT)
2. If you didn’t coach professional soccer, what other profession would you want to try and why?
– I’d like to be working in international relations. More specifically, I think I’d like to be working MI5 and MI6, England’s secret service agency. And if I told you any more about that, I’d have to kill you.
3. What’s your perfect day off?
– Get up, work out, Skype with family back home, do something cultural. (Follow up: Q: What cultural activity have you done recently that you enjoyed? A: We went to California Academy of Science, it was spectacular. I really enjoyed the planetarium show, and particularly like the Sea Dragons)
4. What famous person most inspires you and why?
– Hmmm. Good question. There are so many…. I’m not sure!
5. If you had a dinner party, who are the three people you would invite (can be living or dead)?
– I would invite Noam Chomsky, Hunter S. Thompson and my favorite footballer, Diego Maradona. That’s an interesting table, right?
QUICK HITS – List your top three favorites:
6. TV Shows:
- 1. Sex and the City
2. Grey’s Anatomy
7. Places to Shop:
- 1. Any sort of bargain basement store, like Marshalll’s or TJ Maxx. I love rummaging.
2. All Saints in London
- 1. Netta in Ravello, Amalfi Coast, Italy
2. DEFINITELY my mum’s kitchen. That’s a freaking restaurant to me.
3. The Cliff in Barbados
9. Professional Athletes:
- 1. David Beckham
2. LeBron James
3. And I’m really in awe of Michael Phelps – he blows my brains away, that guy.
10. Cities (in any country):
- 1. Barcelona, Spain
2. San Francisco, Calif.
3. Prague, Czech Republic