Sometimes it’s too easy to think of the things I don’t like about coaching: paperwork, budgeting, etc. But I think it’s nice to remember that the scales aren’t balanced, that the good stuff far outweighs the bad stuff when it comes to this job. Some of it is big stuff, some of it is small stuff…but it all makes up the job and it all contributes to why I love coaching.
I love coaching because…
- …I get to impact the lives of young people.
- …I like being in charge.
- …I’ve been lucky to have great coworkers.
- …it’s fun to watch the team come together.
- …I get fired up when the team high fives after tough conditioning.
- …I get to watch leaders emerge.
- …I help players overcome obstacles.
- …every now and then, a bench player will sub into a game and play like a straight up baller.
- …pregame warmup music still gets me fired up.
- …sometimes I make the right in-game adjustments in the chess game that is sport.
- …of the joy on my team’s face when we earn a big win…it shows they care.
- …of the devastation on their faces when we suffer a major loss…it shows they care.
- …I get goosebumps listening to the pregame national anthem.
- …of the creative cheers students come up with in the stands.
- …I just love being in the gym.
- …it’s fun to watch the team motivate each other during a tough drill.
- …the team always picks bad movies to watch on the bus.
- …I feel like I’ve done my job if my team complains about being sore during preseason.
- …it’s nice to hear the senior’s stories at the team banquet.
- …it’s cool to hear updates from the alumni: they’re getting married, or having babies, or earning PhD’s, or just helping the world be a better place.
Why do you love coaching? Hit me up on twitter and let me know!
Did you know that you could get Coach Dawn Writes articles emailed directly to your inbox? Well you can and it’s free and easy. Just click here and you’re all set!