Game 1 Eastern Conference Semifinals NY/IND series: Indiana 74, New York 72
- Indiana’s leading scorer – Katie Douglas – 25 points
- Indiana’s leading rebounder – Tammy Sutton-Brown – 7 rebouds
- New York’s leading scorer – Cappie Pondexter – 18 points
- New York’s leading rebounder – Nicole Powell – 8 rebounds
- The Fever extended its postseason winning streak at home against the Liberty to four straight. The Liberty have never won a playoff game in Conseco Fieldhouse.
- The two-point win is the Fever’s sixth game, and fourth win, decided by three points or less. It is the second time in five games against the Liberty to be decided by three points or less. New York won the first game of the season series on June 10 by a score of 81-80 at Conseco Fieldhouse.
- Already the all-time postseason career leader in steals, Tamika Catchings’s three in the game give her 75 in her playoff career.
- Katie Douglas’s four three-point shots tied the most ever by any Fever player in the playoffs. Douglas is the sixth different Fever player to hit four three-point shots in a postseason game.
Fever Head Coach Lin Dunn
“I want to thank the fans. They were great in crunch time. Tammy Sutton-Brown really stepped up tonight. We got good help off the bench. We knew it was going to be a war. On the last shot we drew up that play for Erin (Phillips). She did a great job of using the clock. She is a warrior.”
Fever’s Tamika Catchings
“It was a physical game. But I think when you get to the playoffs the expectation and the level of intensity goes up. The aggressiveness goes up. The toughness goes up. But I think we held our own. I think throughout this season that is one of the things that we talked about, being weak as a team and being pushed around a lot. But I think we did a good job tonight of holding our own.”
On the last shot
“Coach said we just drew up a 1-4 flat, create from the top. I knew Erin was going to come down and put something up. We figured she’d either put a shot up or get fouled. She did a great job hitting it.”
Liberty Head Coach John Whisenant
“I was proud to come back from 15 down. We got back into the game on their court to have an opportunity to win in the last minute.”
On the keys to the game
“We rebounded better. Being down and then to lead rebounding in the second half, that’s what allowed us to claw our way back.”
On the last shot
Erin shot it over our best defensive player, Essence Carson. Erin made a tough shot. Erin and Carson matched up one on one, I’d put my money on Carson. We got a good look with our best player.”
Liberty’s Cappie Pondexter
“We loosened up on the defensive end. They gamble a lot. It is hard to find the open player.”
On only having one free throw in the first half
“Getting to the line stops the other team’s momentum and stops the clock.”
- Seattle’s leading scorer – Tanisha Wright- 21 points
- Seattle’s leading rebounders – Swin Cash and Camille Little – 11 rebounds
- Phoeenix’s leading scorer – Penny Taylor – 13 points
- Phoenix’s leading rebounder – DeWanna Bonner – 8 rebounds