Hello there! If you’re reading for the first time or just stopping by for the fun, I’m doing a “Happy Holidays” wellness challenge to help you cultivate more health and happiness the rest of 2014. Catch up on the details on how to join and win the prizes. Or if it already sounds like a good idea, sign up below.
No Money? No Problem! Give Love Instead
How’s that holiday shopping going? If you’re like me, this time of year brings out my innermost giver. I want to recognize everyone in my life during the holidays…my family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, mail carrier, fitness instructors, and the list goes on! But like everyone, I don’t have an unlimited amount of time or money.
Give a piece of your heart this holiday season.
So what’s a giver to do? I’m all about reducing stress and increasing wellness and self-care. Buying gifts for every single person you want to thank can drain your bank account and your sanity. But there’s good news! Gratitude is free. Giving and receiving gifts of any value (monetary or emotional) brings more happiness in both the giver and receiver. We get a nice “boost” of oxytocin (a.k.a. the happy hormone, the bonding hormone, the love hormone).
You Can Do It Challenge: Give love & kindness – it’s FREE and it’s good for you!
Take a minute, think of all of the people in your life who you’d like to recognize, and give them the gift of gratitude instead. Trust me, they’ll like that way better than a new pair of socks or any other material item.
6 Gift Ideas That Don’t Cost A Thing
Want to give gifts that will make a lasting impression? Then ditch the shopping mall, and try one or more of these ideas instead.
- Give help. Everyone needs a little help sometimes. Maybe your elderly neighbor needs a little assistance. Or your friend needs someone to help her through a personal problem. Or your dog needs an extra long walk tomorrow morning. Giving a little bit of help to those around you will undoubtedly bring the spirit of the holidays back in full force!
- Give gratitude. All of us have those people in our lives that make life so much better. Yet we often times fail to tell them how much they mean to us and how much we appreciate them. So this season, TELL them what they mean to you. It can be in person, in a card, over the phone, whatever. The hearts of everyone involved will swell.
- Give a personal service. Are you handy around the house? Good with numbers? An amazing seamstress? I’m sure all of you have a skill that’s either part of your day job or a serious hobby. Either way, share your talents! Give someone a homemade gift certificate for something that you happen to be good at…it will surely brighten their day.
- Give a meal. Time…it’s one of those things that nobody has enough of these days. We are all. so. busy. So if you know of someone who is having a particularly rough go of it, why not double up whatever you’re making for dinner, and help a friend in need?
- Give back. This is the season of giving, after all. So pick a worthy organization, and sign up! Better yet, find a friend to go with and make that your “present” to each other. Search for one that works for you here: http://www.volunteermatch.org/. I promise, it’ll make you feel amazing.
- Give creativity. Still want to give a physical gift? That’s okay – it doesn’t mean it has to break the bank. Make some bath salts for your coworkers, create a favorite recipes booklet for your friends, or fill a mason jar with some of your famous cooking. None of these ideas grab you? Get other ideas here: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/25-easy-homemade-gift-ideas.html
Giving is one of those things that is a win-win for everyone involved. Both the giver and receiver feel like a million bucks…and it didn’t cost you a thing. And the added bonus? None of these things are holidays-only activities; you can do them all year long.
You Can Do It Challenge: Give love. Pick 1 or 2 of the ideas above, and give someone a little piece of your heart.
If you’re not “officially” in the challenge yet, what are you waiting for? Sign up below.
Challenge Your Friends
People do better with support from friends. (It’s a scientific fact!) Ask your friends to join you by sharing on social media or just send them this e-mail with the link to subscribe to the challenge.
Twitter: I’m taking the #HappyHolidaysChallenge with @ScritchfieldRD. Join us http://wp.me/p2T0R-20c