WACO, Texas – The No. 2 Baylor Lady Bears handily defeated SWAC conference team Texas Southern Tuesday night at the Ferrell Center in Waco in front of a crowd of 6,291.
TSU never led but managed to stay close behind Baylor for approximately four minutes as the Lady Bears took the lead but by midway in the first half the game began to turn into a rout.
At halftime, Baylor led 46-22. TSU’s only weapon was in junior guard Jasmine Cannon who had nine points at the break. Baylor sophomore center Brittney Griner had 17 points at the half.
During the second half, Griner with her second block of the game, tied the Baylor record for all-tine shot blocks at 249. Griner now has 251 blocks in 41 games for the Lady Bears (5-1). She scored 27 points in the game.
Cannon had 10 points for TSU (0-3).
Melissa Jones added 14 points for Baylor and Odyssey Sims had 11.
- Baylor hasn’t allowed an opponent to shoot 50 percent in 144-straight games, dating back to March 25, 2006 against Maryland.
- Texas Southern’s one three-point field goal was a season-low for a Baylor opponent.
- The Lady Bears scored 100 points for the first time since a 100-46 win over UT-Pan American on Dec. 30, 2009.
Tonight marked the second time this season that all players that saw action, tallied points.
- Melissa Jones’ 14 points gave her the 32nd double-figure points game of her career and fourth of the season.
Odyssey Sims (11 pts) recorded the third double-digit point performance of her career.
- Sims’ five assists ties a career high that was set against UConn on Nov. 16.
- Kimetria Hayden set a new career high with five assists.
- Terran Condrey registered a season high three assists and tied a season high with four rebounds.
- Mariah Chandler saw her first action of the season after undergoing MCL surgery. She also hit the first three-point basket of her career.
- Lindsay Palmer tied a season high with three rebounds.
- Brooklyn Pope set a new career high with two steals.
- Ashley Field registered a season high with two steals.