Image: Paul Sakuma/AP
- Stanford (6-1). The Cardinal head into their two-week finals break with wins over UC Davis and Fresno State. Freshman Bonnie Samuelson made the biggest impression of the week, hitting 11 of 16 three-point attempts in the two games.
- Arizona State (6-1). The Sun Devils won their own tournament this past weekend, defeating Eastern Washington and Illinois State. Kimberly Brandon finished as the tournament MVP, averaging 14.0 points and 7.0 rebounds o the weekend.
- Cal (6-2). The Bears were also a home tournament winner this weekend in Berkeley and it was freshman Reshanda Gray who led the way with 23 points in the championship game over UNLV. It’s WCC week for the Bears with games against St. Mary’s and Santa Clara.
- UCLA (5-2). The Bruins have won three in a row after Antonye Nyingifa had a career day against Loyola Marymount with 28 points and 14 rebonds. UCLA also takes the week off for finals before their Dec. 13 date against LSU and former coach Nikki Caldwell.
- USC (4-3). The Women of Troy’s tough schedule finally yielded a big win on the road against Gonzaga. USC has won three in a row and now take the two week break for final exams.
- Gonzaga (5-2). Despite double-doubles from Kayla Standish and Kelly Bowen, the Bulldogs came up short in a tough game against USC – only the program’s second home loss in the last three seasons – and the loss will probably cost Gonzaga it’s national ranking. For now.
- Arizona (7-1). The Wildcats keep rolling through what has been a relatively easy non-conference schedule. It will be interesting to see where this team is when the conference starts.
- Oregon (7-1). The Ducks rebounded from their first loss to beat Portland. Amanda Johnson has six double-doubles in eight games.
- Fresno State (5-3). The Bulldogs have played a tough schedule thus far with games against USC, Oregon, Stanford and an upcoming matchup with Oklahoma. FSU has won four of its last five games.
10. San Diego. The Torreros are 5-1 to start the season, falling for the first time against Fordham over the weekend in the Bronx. Thursday’s game against San Diego State will be a good measuring stick.
Powered by Sidelines