Halfway through conference play and the best teams are really a lot better than the rest.
1. Stanford (18-2, 9-0). Kayla Pedersen is rounding into form and that’s just more bad news for Cardinal opponents, who aren’t even getting close these days.
2. UCLA (18-2, 8-1). The Bruins are staying within sight of Stanford after pulling down 48 rebounds (25 on the offensive end) against Arizona on Saturday and play at USC at the Galen Center on Sunday.
3. Gonzaga (19-4, 7-0). The Bulldogs finish the WCC with a perfect 7-0 mark and have firmly established themselves again as the team to beat after a dominating win over second-place St. Mary’s in Moraga.
4. Cal (13-7, 5-4). The Bears went to Oregon and didn’t stumble, finishing the sweep. Sophomore Talia Caldwell had a double-double against Oregon Saturday with 17 points and 11 rebounds. The only concern: no bench points against the Ducks for Cal.
5. USC (13-7, 5-4). The Women of Troy lost their first home game of the year Saturday against ASU and have lost three of four overall. Is Sunday’s home game against UCLA the chance to gain back some momentum?
6. Fresno State (15-6, 6-1). Jaleesa Ross became the school’s all-time leading scorer on Thursday night and the Bulldogs have won four in a row and seven of the last eight. Saturday’s game against Louisiana Tech might well decide the WAC regular-season title.