Image: Jason Watson/US Presswire
1. Stanford (13-1, 4-0). Saturday’s Oregon State win was not a good look for the Cardinal, who are struggling to get more production from their guards while the Ogwumike sisters carry the scoring load. Next up are first-time Pac-12 meetings on the road against Utah and Colorado.
2. Gonzaga (14-2, 3-0). The Zags have won nine in a row and get out of their first conference road trip with a pair of decisive wins against Pepperdine and LMU.
3. USC (8-6, 3-1). The Women of Troy showed a lot by going on the road to sweep the Arizona schools. Five players scored in double-figures in the Saturday win over Arizona. Next up, the rivalry game against UCLA on Saturday.
4. Cal (11-5, 2-2). The Bears followed up a tough weekend in LA with a home sweep against the Oregon schools. Chalk it up to winning the games they should win. Saturday’s 90-point effort against Oregon was Cal’s highest-scoring game of the year.
5. Arizona State (10-4, 1-2). This was not the way to prove that the Sun Devils are contenders to be among the top teams in this conference. ASU is shooting a conference-worst 26.6 percent from beyond the 3-point arc.
6. UCLA (7-8, 2-2). The Bruins beat the Sun Devils, but the fact that they don’t have a winning record keeps them below the ASU in these rankings. Still, it was an as-good-as-one-can-hope-for weekend for Cori Close’s team in the desert.
7. Washington State (9-7, 3-1). A one-point loss to Colorado puts the first blemish on the Cougars’ conference mark, but this kind of start is still a sign of very good things in Pullman.
8. San Diego (10-3, 1-0). A 17-point win over St. Mary’s is an emphatic move to establishing the Torreros as the second-best team in the WCC.
9. Fresno State (11-4). A nailbiting loss to UNLV is the second-to-last game on the non-conference schedule. A game against Seattle U on the 11th puts the finishing touch on the preseason. The defeat ended a run of six straight wins.
10. St. Mary’s (11-4, 2-0). The Gaels have to pick up after the San Diego loss, which ends a seven-game win streak, and find the bright side after a career-high 24 points from Alex Carbonel.