This was no picnic this week because of a few painful losses and a lot of inactivity.
- Stanford (7-0). No change foreseeable here. The Cardinal dispatched of DePaul and now it’s time for the Duke-Tennessee-Connecticut stretch. Should be dazzling to watch.
- Arizona State (7-1). The Sun Devils played and won on Tuesday against North Dakota and don’t play again until Saturday against a Texas A&M team coming off a loss to TCU. The Aggies will probably be a little angry.
- Gonzaga (9-2). The Zags needed a 22-3 run to close the game and defeat Portland State to improve to 9-2. It’s a gutty win and all, but they’d better be better against Baylor on Saturday in Las Vegas.
- Oregon (8-1). The Ducks are apparently starting to wonder why they aren’t getting more national notice for being the nation’s No. 2 scoring team. But only upgrading the competition level will garner respect. Wednesday’s game against Georgia Tech will be a good measuring stick.
- USC (4-4) The Women of Troy are off this week, back in action on Saturday in their own tournament against Dartmouth. It looks like USC won’t get Jacki Gemelos back on the floor until February.
- UCLA (4-3). Also off for the finals break, the Bruins are back on the road Tuesday at Santa Barbara and then at home against a surging Texas Tech team.
- Fresno State (7-3). The Bulldogs have won five in a row. Jaleesa Ross is leading the way at 19.2 points a game. Next up is a trip to face West Virginia of the Big East.
- St. Mary’s (6-4). The Gaels have won three games in a row and pretty good wins at that, against Washington State, Idaho and Boise State. Louella Tomlinson continues to have the best season no one’s heard about. She had a career-high 15 blocks against Boise.
- Cal (4-4). It’s hard to know what to do with the Bears this week. They are better than their loss to San Jose State, but it’s time to regroup before the Dec. 21 date at Long Beach State.
10. Portland (7-3). The Pilots have won seven of eight games, defeating Washington State by 26 points on Sunday. Portland has not lost to the Cougars in 24 years.