Kris Habbas and I talked both men’s and women’s hoops in an extended podcast a few days after the WNBA All-Star Game.
Kris Habbas of Bright Side of the Sun invited me on the BS of the Sun podcast the other day to talk about a wide range of WNBA topics.
- Reactions to the 2014 WNBA All-Star Game: Kris and I compared notes as he was there and I was watching on television. We discussed the highlights of the game, whether it was good way to promote the game to casual fans, and some thoughts on the best all-around player in the world. He also compared Candice Dupree to Golden State Warriors forward David Lee and I wish I could look upon that analogy more favorably as a Warriors fan.
- Player development: As two people who pay attention to the drafting process in both the NBA and WNBA, we discussed player development in the league, specifically that of Skylar Diggins who has gone from near-bust to clearly deserving All-Star starter.
- The home stretch of the WNBA season: I essentially talked out my post from earlier this week: there are three elite teams in the league right now, but with Tamika Catchings returning to the Indiana Fever they could at least make things interesting in the Eastern Conference.
- WNBA expansion: After Kris heard Laurel Richie discussing WNBA expansion to the Bay Area and the Golden State Warriors’ interest, we discussed that quite a bit. As reported earlier this year, the Warriors were actually set to purchase and relocate the L.A. Sparks before the group led by Magic Johnson stepped up. I still have little doubt that the Warriors would be first in line at the next opportunity.
- Maya Moore or Diana Taurasi? I’ll let you answer that in the poll below. And I couldn’t resist throwing one of my favorite players into the conversation as the league’s best all-around player (thinking offense and defense): Tamika Catchings.
To hear the full podcast, head over to the post at Bright Side of the Sun.
Poll Who is the WNBA’s best all-around player?
- Tamika Catchings, Indiana Fever
- Diana Taurasi, Phoenix Mercury
- Maya Moore, Minnesota Lynx
34 votes | ResultsPowered by Sidelines