People are always asking me about snacks ideas for before, during, and after workouts. Oh, and something that needs no refrigeration, takes zero seconds to prepare, is easy to chew, digest, and helps me perform better.
Is that all?
How about this recipe is also:
- Gluten Free
This DIY energy snack is so easy. All you need is rice, peanut butter, and maple syrup. OK, so I am assuming you have leftover rice from another meal. If not, you can actually buy brown rice you can microwave in four minutes. I still take credit for this being super quick and delicious.
- 1 cup leftover rice, brown or white
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
- 2 tablespoon 100% maple syrup
- Place peanut butter in a microwave safe dish and warm for up to 45 seconds. This makes it easier to combine and coat the rice.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together peanut butter and maple syrup.
- Add the rice and stir to combine.
- Remove to a 8×8 glass container, cover and store in refrigerator
You can play around with the flavor. Here are just a few ideas.
- spices like cinnamon or nutmeg
- sea salt (yeah, you need that after you sweat)
- shredded unsweetened coconut
- any combo of dried fruits, pick 1-3
- chocolate chips (need I say more?)
- Makes 3 servings for moderate workouts lasting less than 60 minutes.
- Make 2 servings for workouts lasting 60-90 minutes.
- Eat the whole thing if you are going longer than 90 minutes.
Why Is This Exercise Fuel?
Just in case any readers are wondering why this basic combo is great for exercise, it’s all about the carbs. Your “gasoline” so you can push yourself in your workout, whether you’re gone 45 minutes or 3 hours, is carbohydrates. In this quick recipe, you’ll get carbs from the rice, maple syrup and fruit if you add it. Peanut butter provides protein, heart healthy fats and vitamins, and minerals.
Enjoy, Fit Friends!Powered by Sidelines