It’s National Nutrition Month and all month long we’re sharing fun and delicious ways to “enjoy the taste of eating right.” To me, it’s all about making practical food choices, and about blending taste and nutrition. When we’re trying to eat right, we want to focus on FLAVOR, because who wants to eat something that doesn’t taste good, right?
I was on Let’s Talk Live this week sharing some of my favorite tips for snacks and breakfasts that are full of flavor and packed with nutrition. Hopefully it can help make eating right a little easier (and a little tastier!) for you and your family. You can watch the full video below, or read on for some highlights:
Build a Better Breakfast
You can have a quick and flavorful breakfast — even on a work day! In just minutes you can make a nutritious breakfast sandwich using Thomas’s Bagel Thins. I love them because they’re just the right size (only 110 calories) and have 4-5g of fiber to help keep you fuller, longer. They’re also the only branded bagel endorsed by Weight Watchers®, with a PointsPlus® value of 3 per bagel. Here are a few ways I love to enjoy them:
- A “southwestern” sandwich on an Everything bagel thin with egg, avocado, red pepper, and cilantro – full of flavor plus lean protein and good fats.
- A 100% whole wheat bagel thin “Mediterranean style with garlic hummus, baby spinach, and tomato.
- Cinnamon Raisin and Plain bagel thins are good any time of day, paired with a little low fat cream cheese and fresh fruit.
You can find them in your local supermarket, and keep an eye out for their new packaging!
Smartly Satisfy a “Crunchy Craving”
Surveys suggest that more than 97% of people feel a “snack attack” come on in the afternoon. But don’t run to the vending machine. Instead, choose a better-for-you snack that’s packed with flavor, like these new sriracha veggie chips by The Real Deal All Natural Snacks.
They have a wonderful balance of spicy and crunchy. What else makes them so great?
- They are made with real green peas, corn and rice – and there’s 1.5 servings of vegetables in each ounce
- They only have 110 calories for 100 veggie chips!
- They are all natural, gluten free, kosher and non-GMO – and have 80% less fat than potato chips
The Veggie Chips also come in aged white cheddar and original. Or try their tortilla chips in blue corn and white corn. Look for them at Whole Foods and Wegman’s.
Nuts and Fruit: A Perfect Pair
Fruits and nuts are some of my favorite nutritious and easy-to-eat snacks. Pairing them together packs even more nutrition and
flavor in one amazing snack. Wonderful Pistachios and Halos go together perfectly for a super snack that offers fresh, sweet taste and savory crunch. It’s a delicious way to balance taste and nutrition because the Halos are packed with vitamin C and contain only 50 calories. And to complement that, Wonderful Pistachios provide protein, fiber, and antioxidants.
What else is so WONDERFUL about them you ask?
- A one-ounce serving of pistachios is about 49 nuts — more nuts per serving than any other snack. And, a recent Harvard University study suggests a daily handful of pistachios may have a role in health and longevity.
- Wonderful Halos are sweet, seedless, easy to eat and peel, making them a healthy grab-and-go snack for kids and adults.
You can also kick the flavor up a notch with mint and chocolate. This Greek yogurt snack is made with pistachios and mandarin orange segments, mint, shaved dark chocolate and a little honey. You could even serve this for dessert — yum!
How do you “enjoy the taste of eating right”?
Leave a comment below with one of your favorite tips for flavorful and healthy snacks and breakfasts.