Stanford: Joslyn Tinkle, Chiney Ogwumike, Nneka Ogwumike, Kayla Pedersen, Jeanette Pohlen
Texas: Kathleen Nash, Yvonne Anderson, Ashley Gayle, Chassidy Fussell and Ashleigh Fontenette
In the house: A big lineup today. Alumni Candice Wiggins and Jayne Appel. On the baseline: Alana Beard (who played for Gail G at Duke, former Washington Mystics GM Angela Taylor. Also, a large portion of the Stanford football team sitting under the north basket.
Odd start of the game: An administrative technical foul against Texas opens the game. Kayla Pedersen will shoot two free-throws. Texas didn’t get their scorebook in on time. Pedersen makes both. 2-0 Stanford before tipoff.
- With a 2-0 lead, Cardinal wins the tip.
- This is by far the Longhorns’ biggest challenge of the season so far with wins over Mississippi Valley State, Northwestern State, Boston University and Idaho State.
- This is Stanford’s last game before the two week finals’ break. When the come back, a stretch that includes Fresno State, at DePaul, At Tennessee, at USC, and the home set agianst Xavier and Connecticut.
- Cardinal offensive struggling to find a rhythm early. Texas up on Stanford shooters on the perimeter.
- Media timeout 15:15 to go: Texas 9, Stanford 8.
- Stats of note: Stanford getting out-rebounded 5-2. Cardinal have yet to attempt a 3-pointer.
- Cardinal goes on a 8-0 run. Up 14-9 with 14:23 to go.
- Make it 10-0 run. Two free-throws by Kayla Pedersen.
- Texas assertive about trying to get to the basket and draw fouls.
- Beautiful offensive rebound by Nneka Ogwumike, then feeds to Chiney for basket.
- Media timeout: Stanford 22, Texas 14.
- Stats of note: Stanford regains rebounding edge, 8-6.
- Nneka Ogwumike adding range to her offensive game. Just hit a nice 16-footer.
- Nneka picks up second foul at 10:01 on Anne Marie Hartung. Sarah Boothe coming in. Crowd doesn’t like the replay.
- Stanford explosion continues. Cardinal have outscored Texas 25-9 since being down 8-6. Timeout Texas at 9:22. Kayla Pedersen scores a layup in transition.
- Toni Kokenis hits Cardinal’s second 3-pointer of the game.
- Media timeout: Stanford 34, Texas 21 with 7:26 to go.
- Stat of note: Texas 4 of last 12 shots from the floor.
- Jeanette Pohlen picks up second foul with 5:43 to go. First appearance of the game by Lindy LaRocque.
- Cardinal getting the transition game going. With Pedersen scoring on the break.
- Pedersen picks up second foul with 5:24 to go in the half. That’s three starters with two fouls for Stanford.
- A lot of young players on the floor for Stanford right now – Tinkle, Booth, LaRocque, Kokenis and Chiney Ogwumike.
- Media timeout: Stanford 42, Texas 24.
- Stanford football team coming out with the Axe to take a bow.
- Stat of note: Stanford winning the rebounding margin 15-11. 10 assists on 18 baskets.
- No field goals for Texas since 7:38.
- Stanford holding up well with starters in foul trouble.
- Texas all of a sudden cuts the led to 47-37 on a three-pointer by Chelsea Bass and Ashleigh Fontenette follows up with a jumper to make it 47-39. Pohlen and Pedersen checking in with two fouls and 23 seconds to go.
Halftime score: Stanford 49, Texas 39.
Second half: Texas ended the half with a 15-7 run.
- Yvonne Anderson jumper at 18:52 cuts Stanford lead to 49-43. Texas pushing tempo offensively. Second score of the half for Anderson.
- Lineup change out of the half for Stanford: Kokenis for Tinkle.
- Stanford on 6-0 run to push the lead to 55-43.
- Nneka picks up third foul with 17:06 to go. Boothe into the game.
- Media timeout: Stanford 57, Texas 46.
- Stats of note: Rebounding totals tied at 20-20. Both teams with 12 turnovers. Texas 12 of 15 from the stripe.
- Texas’ Anne Marie Hartung picks up fourth foul. To the bench.
- Stanford star alum Candice Wiggins doing a little color on the TV broadcast.
- Texas’ Ashleigh Fontenette hurt and being tended to. A break in the action. Coming off the floor, putting no weight on right leg, which she also is sporting a brace.
- Kayla Pedersen tips in her own miss. Great play.
- Media timeout: Stanford 68, Texas 55.
- Stat of note: Stanford shooting 69.2 percent in the second half.
- Media timeout: Stanford 78, Texas 62.
- Stat of note: Texas being led by Chassidy Fussell with 15 points.
- Kayla Pedersen lay-up extends Stanford lead to 20 points. This team looks much more cohesive on the offensive end than it did a couple of weeks ago.
- Fontenette back in the game for Texas. Very good news.
- Stanford has taken control. Up 85-64 with 3:38 to go.
- Cardinal’s hot-shooting half continues. Now 15 of 26 for 57.7 percent, 59.3 percent for the game. That’s tough to beat.
- Texas shooting 35.7 percent with more 3-pointers and more free-throws. But 15 fewer field-goals.
- Stanford starters still in with 23 point lead and 230 to go. Bench gave VanDerveer reason for pause in the first half.
- Final minute: Stanford gets another quality win. Will go into two-week break with wins over Rutgers, Gonzaga and Texas. That’s not a bad start. But it only gets harder from here.
- Final score: Stanford 93, Texas 78.