Refresh and repeat! No TV tonight!
Pregame notes: Stanford senior guard Mel Murphy in uniform and warming up with her teammates. Don’t expect to see many minutes out of Murphy.
15 Lindy LaRocque G
14 Kayla Pedersen F
13 Chiney Ogwumike F
30 Nneka Ogwumike F
23 Jeanette Pohlen G
3 Darxia Morris G
11 Atonye Nyingifa F
21 Doreena Campbell G
23 Markel Walker F
33 Jasmine Dixon F
- Shot clock problem is delaying tip-off temporarily.
- Maples maybe 2/3 full tonight.
- New uniforms for the Cardinal tonight. How to describe. White with black piping. Shadow effect on back with quad, Stanford S and Tower. Designed by associated head coach Amy Tucker.
- Nikki Caldwell’s shoes, by the way, are fierce.
- Chiney Ogwumike picks up first foul at 18:11.
- Stanford getting big-time pressure from UCLA, but with clock running down Pohlen drives and dishes to Pedersen. Cardinal up 6-0. UCLA is 0-for-5.
- Stanford playing D as well.
- Jasmine Dixon foul 15:32. Pohlen to the line.
- Media timeout: Stanford 6, UCLA 0.
- Stat of note: 5 of six rebounds for Stanford on the defensive end.
- UCLA now 1 of 9 from floor.
- Only three field-goals for the Cardinal so far in almost eight minutes.
- Tara VanDerveer to Jeanette Pohlen “Calm down.”
- Kayla Pedersen hits her first 3 attempt. A good sign for Stanford, up 13-4.
- Timeout: Stanford 15, UCLA 4.
- Stat of note: Bruins 2 of 12 from the floor.
- Stanford on 7-0 run.
- Cardinal with 10 defensive rebounds already.
- Nneka getting knocked around inside. Scores on a good pass from Kokenis. Kokenis speed helping Cardinal. Her offensive game needs refining.
- Sarah Boothe scores on hook. Cardinal up 20-9 after Dixon counters.
- Cardinal doing well with press break. UCLA force to get back.
- Turnovers starting to pile up. Cardinal up to six. UCLA at 5.
- Full court press on now for UCLA.
- Cardinal up 22-11 with 6:42 to go. Nneka scores on o-board.
- Dixon has scored seven of last nine for UCLA.
- Mel Murphy about to check in, but it’s media timeout time.
- Stanford up 22-13 with 6:03 to go.
- Stat of note: Jeanette Pohlen 0-for-3 from field but 4-for-4 from the line.
- Mel gets her first touches. Crowd cheers.
- Atonye Nyingifa picks up second foul with 3:53.
- Special shout-out to Deb Gumbley. She knows why.
- Stanford length and size making it difficult for UCLA to find good shots in the offense. Best offense coming from defense so far.
- Doreena Campbell and Darxia Morris a combined 1 for 6 from the floor.
- Cardinal up 28-15 with 1:34 to go.
- UCLA now 7 of 25 from the floor.
- Mel Murphy steal and layup with 59 seconds to go. Crowd goes wild.
Halftime score: Stanford 32. UCLA 15.
Stats of note:
- Stanford shooting 12 of 26 from the floor.
- 1 of 3 from 3-point range
- Cardinal out-rebounding UCLA 22-2 and holding Bruins to three offensive rebounds.
- Points off turnovers: Stanford 11, UCLA 4.
- Second-chance points, Stanford 6, UCLA 0.
- In the paint: Stanford 16, UCLA 6.
- Special guests tonight – former Chronicle colleagues and dear friends Glenn Schwarz, Mark Smoyer and former beat writer Dwight Chapin.
- Chiney Ogwumike picks up quick foul. No. 2 at 19:30.
- And now a whistle for Jasmine Dixon – her second at 19:06. She and Nneka hit the floor.
- More issues with the shot clock.
- Taking a break.
- Pedersen on folo hits first shot of half.
- Cardinal score in transition. UCLA in 36-15 hole. Can’t rebound with Stanford and not forcing as many turnovers as they would like.
- Third foul on Chiney at 17:24. She’s coming out for a while. Chiney getting praise from Tara. “Nice charge.”Well…
- Pohlen’s first field-goal. UCLA hasn’t scored in the half yet. Nearly four minutes gone.
- Media timeout: Stanford 39, UCLA 16. 15:18 to go. Bruins’ season low is 53 points coming in.
- Stat of note: UCLA 0 for 5 from 3-point range. Now 7 of 29 from the floor.
- Cardinal on 19-2 run bridging two halves.
- Stanford on 14-2 run to open the half. No field-goals for UCLA in the half so far. 13 minutes to go.
- Dixon hits jumper for first field-goal of the half for Bruins at 12:44.
- Media timeout: Stanford 50, UCLA 21 with 11:29 to go.
- Stat of note: Bruins shooting 27.3 percent. Stanford holding steady at nine turnovers.
- UCLA came in forcing more than 25 turnovers a game.
- Cardinal in the bonus, Pohlen 1 and 1.
- Two second-half field-goals for the Bruins.
- Stanford up 55-21 with 9:31 to go.
- Fans not so happy with officiating in physical game.
- Intentional foul called against Sarah Boothe. Walker to shoot.
- Campbell hits UCLA’s first 3-pointer of the game.
- 56-25 Stanford.
- Media timeout: Stanford 56, UCLA 27. 7:20 to go. Let the subbing begin.
- UCLA “cuts” it to 56-31. Cardinal looking a little sloppy. Most of the starters still in the game on both sides.
- Final score Stanford 64, UCLA 38.