Attendance at WNBA games increased for the fifth consecutive year, up 1.25 percent, the league reported Wednesday. The teams that drove the attendance increase included the Chicago Sky (+29.0%), Washington Mystics (+11.7%) and Minnesota Lynx (+10.8%).
TV viewership also increased on ESPN2 reaching its highest level since 2005, averaging 270,000 viewers, up five percent over last season (258,000).
Other attendance, viewership and fan engagement highlights of 2011:
- Viewership for the WNBA All-Star Game on ABC was up 46% vs. the last All-Star on ABC in 2009.
- U.S. ratings for the first round of the 2011 WNBA Draft on ESPN was up 47% vs. the first round of 2010 Draft on ESPN2.
- WNBA.com saw continued growth on the site during the 2011 season with daily unique visits up 13% and overall visits up 11%.
- WNBA games streamed online at WNBA.com via LiveAccess saw a 55% increase in unique users.
- The WNBA YouTube channel experienced a 35% increase in video views this season.
- The WNBA Facebook page saw an 11% increase in fans.
- League merchandise sales on WNBAStore.com increased 12% over last year.
The 2011 WNBA Playoffs begin Thursday, Sept. 15, with all 23 possible postseason games available on ESPN2 and NBA TV.