Phoenix Mercury staffer and writer Ben York has seven random things about the Mercury. #1 doesn’t surprise me and I already knew about #5.
As I already told Ben, it’s the little things about their players and teams that true fans of the game appreciate the most. So in that spirit, here are random observations of the Los Angeles Sparks:
1. Delisha Milton-Jones and Alana Beard never stop bantering back and forth. They are like twins on crack. Both are hilarious. So is Ebony Hoffman, who jumps in sometimes too.
2. Candace Parker’s daughter Lailaa is very tall for her three years. Projected to be 6-foot-5? My only question is, by what age? 11?
3. Coach Carol Ross never shies away from any questions – even when her team has taken a pounding. She unflinchingly looks reporters in the eyes and gives her take on what just happened.
4. Kristi Toliver is a monster on court, but off the hardwood, she’s a bit shy. Marissa Coleman and Nicky Anosike don’t say much at all.
5. The Sparks are having fun this year. They like each other, enjoy playing together, and the mood is light.
6. The entire Sparks staff are a team, and they work hard. They act like a family.
Tonight’s WNBA results:
The Sky did the improbable and beat the Lynx, 83-70. In doing so, they grabbed the East’s fourth and final playoff spot.
Atlanta, with the third Eastern playoff position, whooped the Storm 77-61.
Before tonight’s match ups, though, there was this great story about how the Lynx offer a look into the winner’s psyche. Perhaps this evening was a mental lapse.