National Bike Month is probably not a Hallmark event. For those of us that are cyclists, that’s too bad! If oil prices continue to climb, however, every month might become Bike Month.
Despite what temperatures may indicate (we’re having a heat wave in Los Angeles and it snowed last week in upstate New York), spring really is on its way! With the start of National Bike Month we thought we’d bring you some new cycling accessories to get you and your family ready for two-wheel transportation:
National Bike Month Notes:
- May 12 – 16, 2014 is officially “Bike to Work Week” and Friday, the 16th is the 18th annual “Bike to Work Day.”
- Bike to School Day is May 7, 2014. Learn more, register or find an event in your area here.
- Sadly, there is also an official “Ride of Silence” to honor fallen cyclists–which is also a nationwide observance on May 21, 2014. Join cyclists worldwide in a silent slow-paced ride in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways.
- The League of American Bicyclists promotes awareness of National Bike Month by offering “50 ways to celebrate bike month.”
- On Mother’s Day, women unite worldwide for CycloFemme events, honoring the past, celebrating the present and empowering the future of women’s cycling.
Whether you bike to work or school; ride to save money or time; pump those pedals to preserve your health or the environment; or simply to explore your community, National Bike Month is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride.
Cool Bike Accessories and Other Cycling Stuff
With all the attention on healthy lifestyles and the importance of exercise–Bike Month might be just what we all need to get in shape and save gas money at the same time.
One cool take on promoting cycling is the Bike Valet in Santa Monica offering free valet-style parking of bicycles at the Sunday Main Street Farmer’s Market, Pier Twilight Dance Series and other public events throughout the City. Residents and visitors ride their bicycles to events, give their bicycle to a bike valet attendant and receive a claim check for their bicycle. The bicycles are then parked in the valet area and monitored by attendants. When a customer is ready to claim their bicycle, the bike valet takes the claim check and retrieves the bicycle.
Also in uber-hip Santa Monica is Bike Main Street every Friday night. Visit Main Street merchants on your bicycle and park it for free with the Bike Valet from 5:00 p.m. to Midnight (bike Valet located on the east side of Main Street between Ashland and Pier Avenue). Gotta love LA.