Happy Meatless Monday!
The weather has definitely warmed up here in DC, announcing the arrival of one of my favorite times of year: barbeque season! Friends, family, sunshine, great food – who doesn’t love a good cook out?
Don’t think you can have a meatless BBQ? Think again! I have a great black bean burger recipe that I want to share with you guys that’s perfect for your next gathering. This veggie burger is a crowd-pleaser that even your carnivore friends will love. These flavorful patties are made with savory black beans, sweet potatoes, and fragrant herbs and spices like thyme and coriander. Serve them on whole wheat buns with all your favorite burger fixins. And don’t forget to sprinkle on some sharp cheddar before you dig in – you can thank me later.
Photo from: http://www.cabotcheese.coop
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Serving size: 6
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced fresh beets (optional; if omitting beets, increase cooked sweet potato to 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup dry whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 7 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 3/4 cups), divided
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in medium skillet over medium heat; add onions and beets, if using, and saute until soft, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes longer; set aside.
- In food processor, combine beans, breadcrumbs, flour, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme and coriander; pulse 5 to 10 times until combined.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl and add sweet potato, 1 cup of cheese, lemon juice and reserved onion/beet/garlic mixture. Mix by hand to combine, then shape into six burgers.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-low to low heat. Cook burgers until browned on both sides and heated all the way to center, about 10 minutes. Top with each burger with about 2 tablespoons of remaining cheese. Serve on whole wheat buns, half whole wheat pitas or over salad greens, along with your favorite condiments.
Nutritional Information per Servings: