Happy Meatless Monday!
We all know it’s sometimes a hassle to get dinner on the table. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to come home after a long day to a cooked meal waiting in the fridge? This Grilled Vegetable Lasagna is that meal! You can definitely dig in the day you make it, but this is also a great dish to prep on Sunday and then just reheat later in the week. This lasagna is a one stop shop filled with nourishing veggies, tender noodles and plenty of gooey cheese. It’s so satisfying you wont even miss the meat.
This wholesome dish is made with hearty eggplant and zucchini, which are a perfect match for the noodles, cheese and sauce. If you have other vegetables on hand, feel free to throw them in – the more veggies the better! I love that this recipe uses grilled vegetables – the smoky flavor makes this dish a stand-out among other lasagnas. Hope you and your family love it!
Photo from: http://www.myrecipes.com
Grilled Vegetable Lasagna
- 3 eggplants cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 pounds)
- 3 zucchini cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 2 red bell peppers quartered and seeded
- 1 (15-ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 9 lasagna noodles divided
- 1 (26-ounce) jar tomato-basil spaghetti sauce divided
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/4 cup commercial pesto
- Preheat grill.
- Coat eggplants and zucchini with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Grill eggplant and zucchini 1 1/2 minutes on each side or just until tender. Cool; combine in a large bowl.
- Place bell peppers on grill, skin-side down; grill 3 minutes or until tender. Cut into (1-inch-wide) strips. Add bell peppers to eggplant mixture.
- Combine ricotta cheese, egg, 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, basil, parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions, omitting the salt and the fat.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over tomato sauce. Top with half of eggplant mixture. Spread half of ricotta cheese mixture over eggplant mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange 3 noodles and 1 cup of spaghetti sauce over cheese; cover with the remaining eggplant mixture. Top with remaining ricotta mixture. Spread pesto over ricotta; sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover with remaining 3 noodles.
- Spoon 1 cup spaghetti sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
To make ahead of time, bake for 45 minutes, let cool, and refrigerate until you’re ready to use. Reheat, covered, at 375° for 30 – 40 minutes, and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Powered by Sidelines