Happy Meatless Monday!
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, today I wanted to share a whimsical, romantic, and waistline friendly version of one of my favorite brunch pastries: Grapefruit, Honey & Yogurt Scones. These beautifully pink tinted flakey scones, made with protein packed greek yogurt, seasonal and vibrant grapefruits and indulgently sweet honey, are sure to wow the honey in your life (and you!). These can easily be made in advance and rewarmed Valentine’s morning to give your special someone or entire family the breakfast in bed experience. I love to serve mine warmed with a small pat of butter or margarine and a deliciously creamy latte on the side.
Photo from: joythebaker.com
Grapefruit, Honey & Yogurt Scones
Makes 6 scones
- ¾ C all-purpose flour
- ¾ C whole wheat flour
- ¼ C granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 Ruby Red grapefruit, zested and segmented
- ½ C plain 0% Greek yogurt
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Zest the grapefruit and combined zest and granulated sugar on a clean cutting board. Rub together the zest and sugar with the back of a spoon or a plastic bench knife. Measure 2 tablespoons of the grapefruit sugar and whisk into the dry ingredients. Save the remaining grapefruit sugar for topping the scones just before baking.
- Segment the grapefruit next. Set segments aside.
- Dice cold butter into small chunks and add to the dry ingredients. Using your fingers, break the butter down into the flour mixture until butter chunks are the size of oat flakes or small peas. The butter and flour combined will resemble coarse meal. Add the honey, plain yogurt and grapefruit segments. Toss together with a fork until all of the dry ingredients are moistened by the yogurt and honey.
- Turn the scone dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Form into an 8 inch circle, about 1 inch thick. Use a knife or a bench scraper to cut the dough into six scone triangles. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush the tops of the scones with milk or buttermilk, and sprinkle generously with grapefruit sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until golden brown on top and firm but soft in the center.
Nutritional Information per scone:
Fat: 11.8 g
Saturated Fat: 7.3 g
Cholesterol: 31 mg
Sodium: 11 mg
Carbohydrate: 40.5 g
Fiber: 1.1 g
Sugar: 16.4 g
Protein: 5.5 g
Calcium: 33.4 mg