The Elite Eight is now set, with one half of the Final Four to be decided in tonight’s games.
The following is a brief look around SB Nation to summarize the action from the weekend.
- David Hooper of Rocky Top Talk looks at how the Tennessee Lady Vols overcame an ugly start to come back and defeat the Kansas Jayhawks 84-73 on Saturday. Hooper rightly lauds Ariel Massengale and Meighan Simmons for changing the tide of the game after the “Five Seniors” got off to a lackluster start. Read more >>>
- Mark C. Moore of Our Daily Bears briefly summarized the Baylor Lady Bears’ 83-68 win over the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets before providing a few links to preview tonight’s game against the Tennessee Lady Vols. After briefly noting the dunk, he wondered why the Yellow Jackets stayed with a full court press despite the Lady Bears beating the press repeatedly. Read more >>>
- Greg Alan Edwards of A Sea Of Blue writes that the Kentucky Wildcats brought their A game in a 79-62 win over the Gonzaga Bulldogs yesterday but will need their A+ game to beat the Connecticut Huskies. As he wrote before the Gonzaga game, the keys for UK are clear: minimize turnovers and getting a good game from A’dia Mathies. Read more >>>
- Gamecock Man of Garnett And Black Attack writes that the South Carolina Gamecocks have nothing to be ashamed of after their 76-60 loss to the Stanford Cardinal on Saturday. However, in light of Nneka Ogwumike’s 39 points and 10 rebounds, he concluded that the game also showed what’s keeping Dawn Staley’s program from being an elite team: a center. Read more >>>
- Owen of Rock Chalk Talk briefly summarized the Kansas Jayhawks‘ loss to Tennessee and notes that the team has built some momentum heading into next season with leading scorer Carolyn Davis and Angel Goodrich returning. Read more >>>
- Cari Greene of Black Shoe Diaries wrote in advance of the Penn State Lady Lions’ 77-59 loss to the UConn Huskies that Alex Bentley and Maggie Lucas would have to put points on the board to pull off an upset; they combined for 7-for-31 shooting. Despite the loss, Greene says that 2013 could be the year that PSU breaks through and becomes a real national title contender. Read more >>>
- Matt Sussman of Huslte Belt wraps up the “MACsketball” season with the Toledo Rockets’ 74-73 overtime loss to the Syracuse Orange, which “had no business getting to extra time.” Among the Rockets’ self-inflicted harm was 59% free throw shooting despite getting to the line more often than the Orange. Read more >>>
- Raptors HQ has a journal entry from former Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters player Margaret De Ciman, which has nothing to do with the NCAA Tournament but does provide some insight into life overseas after NCAA careers end. Read more >>>