Three NCAA DI teams went down yesterday in preseason action vs. DII teams. Gannon continued its winning ways against DI teams by beating Buffalo, 63-53. Last Sunday they knocked off Kent State. Kentucky State beat Morehead State 64-61. And the biggest preseason upset was Ashland’s 79-77 victory over 2012 A-10 champion Dayton. Taylor Woods led Ashland with 19 points. Daiva Gerbec scored 18 points and pulled down 11 rebounds. Kari Daughterty contributed 17 points plus 8 rebounds. A-10 coaches picked Dayton to take the regular season title this season.
From the Ashland website:
The Eagles were trailing Division I Dayton, 77-76 on Saturday (Nov. 3) at UD Arena in a preseason game when senior guard Lindsay Tenyak (Wadsworth, Ohio) drilled a three-pointer as the buzzer sounded at the end of regulation. Originally, it was ruled that Tenyak’s shot came after the final horn. A review of game tape revealed that the shot was taken in time. That missile sent the Eagles past their Atlantic 10 foe, 79-77. Tenyak scored AU’s last nine points as she fired in three triples.
The victory gave AU head coach Sue Ramsey and senior guard Kari Daugherty (Fresno, Ohio/Dayton) a happy homecoming. Ramsey was the head coach at Dayton before coming to Ashland. Daugherty played two years at Dayton. She began her Ashland career a year ago.
Oral Roberts rebounded from their loss this week to DII Harding with a victory over Oklahoma Baptist, 74-54.
Out west it took Seattle University two overtimes to come out on top over DII Western Washington University, 100-93.
Today South Carolina faces DII Anderson, the team that beat Clemson 72-65 Friday evening.
Some Saturday Results
- Tenyak Triple Sends Ashland Eagles Past Dayton
- Gannon Women’s Basketball Team Earns Second Preseason Win Over Division I Opponent, Defeating Buffalo 63-53
- Morehead State Upset by Kentucky State in Exhibition
- No. 14/13 St. John’s Routs Farmingdale, 99-24, In Opening Exhibition Game
- Fordham Tops Dowling, 60-43, in Exhibition Contest
- Saint Francis (PA) Cruises Past McGill, 75-63
- Iona Tops Philadelphia In Exhibition, 67-58
- Pitt Rolls to 94-61 Exhibition Win over Lock Haven
- Florida State Sprints Past Shorter in Exhibition
- Vanderbilt Blows by Alabama-Huntsville 81-53
- Oral Roberts Takes Down Oklahoma Baptist, 74-54
- Green Bay vs Michigan Tech: De Pere sisters face off for 1st time in exhibition
- Marquette Cruises To 66-44 Exhibition Victory Over Winona State
- Milwaukee Runs Away With an 88-55 Win Over Hillsdale College In Rechlicz’s Debut
- Green Bay, Marquette women Win Exhibition Games
- UTSA Defense Shuts Down McMurry on Saturday, 64-36
- UTEP Downs St. Mary’s, 69-60, In Exhibition Contest
- New Mexico Lobos 56, Eastern New Mexico 37
- Loyola Marymount routs Master’s College, 88-58
- Gonzaga Cruises to 90-48 Exhibition Victory Over Eastern Oregon
- Seattle U Tops Western Washington in 2OT, 100-93