If you are looking for a delicious, yet nutritious appetizer for your next holiday party, check out these black bean and corn stuffed peppers. They take little prep time and are full of healthy whole grains, fiber, nutrients and antioxidants. Plus, they taste good!
Black Bean & Corn Stuffed Peppers
- olive oil
- 2 small chopped onions
- 1 cup fresh, frozen or canned corn (if using frozen corn, cook first)
- 1 cup black beans
- 2/3 cup low sodium tomato sauce (you can also substitute marinara sauce here)
- 1.5 cup cooked brown rice
- 6-8 red and green bell peppers, cut and half and seeded
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded or grated
- chopped cilantro, optional
Microwave bell pepper halves for approximately 4 minutes (covered loosely with wax paper), when finished, let them cool. Next, coat skillet with olive oil (2-3 tsp, I never measure oil when sautéing) and sauté chopped onions on low heat until they are glassy and starting to turn brown. Add black beans, corn, tomato sauce and brown rice and stir until heated. Remove from heat and scoop warm mix into the bell peppers. Top with chopped cilantro and Monterey Jack cheese or fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and enjoy!
Powered by Sidelines