This month’s Recipe Redux theme was “no cook” recipes – perfect for those nights when it’s too hot to grill outside, and still want something that tastes fresh and summery. My top two go-to items are store bought black bean dip and guacamole dip. Pick an option that has just a few simple ingredients (that you can pronounce!) so it’s more likely to be minimally processed, and jazz them up with a few fresh items to bring them alive!
How can I jazz up my store bought dip?
To liven up store bought guacamole, add diced cherry tomatoes, fresh cilantro, peppers, corn, or for smokey flavor add some chipotle in adobo sauce. Add fresh mango, jalapeno and cilantro to store bought black bean dip for a sweet and spicey kick.
Are dips just for chips?
Heck no! Veggies like sugar snap peas, sliced peppers, baby carrots and slice cucumber are perfect for dipping. Dips are also great toppers for salads and can add tons of flavor and crunch. Add rotisserie chicken, pre-cooked/frozen shrimp (defrost in the fridge), or even canned tuna for a true no-cook, balanced plate!
Don’t forget about dressings!
Dressings are another easy way to add some variety to your salad routine and requires just a little assembly. Try this one that uses tahini which can be a nice change-up from your everyday vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup tahini (peanut butter, almond butter, or any nut butter)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 -1 tablespoon tamari or lite soy sauce (or shoyu)
- 1/3 cup water (+/- amount added for consistency)
- Ginger: add 1/2-1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- Tamari: +/- amount in the base dressing. Then add sesame oil to taste.
- Parsley: chopped parsley to taste
What are some of your favorite no-cook recipes???