Davis and Sexton
This week’s Women’s Fight Night in Janet TV is posted, which includes an interview with Rosi Sexton ahead of her fight with Alexis Davis at UFC 161 in Winnipeg, Canada Saturday live on PPV.
Weigh-ins will stream live on UFC.com at 2 p.m. pacific/5 p.m. eastern.
You can watch “Women’s Fight Night” on Janet TV here.
Courtesy LAWRENCE SMITH/Fairfax NZ
In early action from Thursday, Arlene Blencowe defeated Daniella Smith by unanimous decision to win the vacant WBF/WIBA light welterweight title in Auckland, New Zealand.
Also on Thursday, Roma Pawelek defeated Katie Law by TKO 1:28 round 1 at King of the Cage in an amateur MMA bout. Pawelek goes 4-0.
Videographer Dean Merchand and editor Cynthia Vance created a video piece for MMARising.com that features JEWELS champion Ayaka Hamasaki as she prepares for InvictaFC 6.
Featherweight Eeva Siiskonen will look for her forth win as a pro as she will take on face Sanna Laitinen at Carelia Fight 9 in Imatra, Finland September 7. Laitinen is looking to avenge her first amateur MMA loss in the rematch.
Coming off a decision win over InvictaFC vet Kaiyana Rain, Kailin Curran returns to Pacific Xtreme Combat on August 9th to take on JEWELS veteran Emi Tomimatsu in Mangilao, Guam.
Curran went 4-1-1 as am ammy before turning pro against Rain this past March. Tomimatsu is coming off back to back losses to Mei Yamaguchi and Mika Nagano.
A pair of amateur MMA fights have been announce for RFA June 21. In a rematch from 2011, Heather Bassett (3-2) will take on Moriel Charneski (6-2). Bassett would take the win in their first meeting by unanimous decision.
The other fight will pit MMA debuters Sarah Jacobsen and Kylie Mergner.
InvictaFC fighter Alex Chambers was featured on the local Austrlaian news this past weekend, as well as Aussie fighter Kerry Barrett. You can watch the story here.
UK MMA fighter-in-training Nikki Sahota has qualified to be a part of the “Miss England” Pageant next month. The Daily Mail did a great piece on her talking about her MMA career, her time as an army officer, and being a part of “Fast and Furious 6″.
UFC fighter Sheila Gaff competed last weekend in a grappling match in Germany against Katie Welker. The match ended in a draw. You can watch the video here.
In an interesting factoid, Charmiane Tweet read for the role of “Mother Russia” in the upcoming “Kick Ass 2″ movie. She didn’t get the part, but would have been interesting if she did.
Megumi Fujii stated on twitter that she will be making an announcement about her future in MMA this coming week. This is probably another hint that she is ready to retire.
A report by DamadeFerroMMA.com attest that Bellator has blocked a possible match between strawweight contenders Felice Herrig and Joanne Calderwood. Herrig, who is currently signed to Bellator, defeated Heather Clark is a grudge match by split decision this past March. Bellator has no current plans with Felice.
After a few years of being MIA from social media, Jan Finney has reappeared. Not to say she is going to be back in the cage anytime soon, we are glad to see her back online. You can follow her @JanFinney and on Facebook.
We still await the official cast list for “The Ultimate Fighter”, but you can pretty much see who is in since there are certain fighters not facebooking or tweeting. On the converse, several who have been tweeting since last week can be pretty assumed didn’t make the house.
Either way, there is no love loss between coaches Miesha Tate and champion Ronda Rousey. Dana White stated Thursday that there is “crazy drama” between the coaches, and comparing it to the Ken Shamrock versus Tito Ortiz season. He states that some of it will most likely not make the show. “It is pure *expletive* mayhem” White added.
Besides the a fore mentioned UFC 161 fight between Rosi Sexton and Alexis Davis, the XFC returns to AXS TV with a female battle. Former Tuff-n-uff champion Cortney Casey will make her pro debut against Kelly Warren in Tampa, Florida.
Casey went 6-2 as an amateur, with her last three wins coming via armbar. Warren is hoping to end a four fight losing streak, having lost to top fighters Tara LaRosa and Jessica Eye.
At weigh-ins, Casey came in at 126.2 pounds, 1.2 pounds over the contracted weight. Casey came in at 124.4.
The match will air on AXS TV Friday night.
Brazil will have six pro female bouts:
- At Real Fight 9 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Alessandra Silva faces Kalindra Faria
- Roberta Paim faces Suzy Melo at FCC in Lajeado, Brazil
- After her loss to Jessica Eye a few weeks ago, Carina Damm returns to Brazil to take on Jessica Suelen at MMA Fight Show 2 in Rio de Janeiro.
- In a pair of bouts at Premire Fight League in Bahia, Brazil, American Nina Ansaroff faces Aylla Caroline da Silva, and Joana Santana takes on Virna Jadiroba
- At 60 Second MMA in Brazil, Andressa Rocha faces Beatriz Zambonini
Also in the pro ranks at Valor 9 in Launceston, Tasmania, Christina Tatnell takes Nicole Maxwell
In a battle of top amateur fighters, Brittany Dugas and Susie Wyatt battle it out at ShamrockFC in St. Louis, MO. Dugas is undefeated at 5-0 and finished all her opponents. Wyatt only has one blemish on her record, and has finished in all her wins.
In another bout on the card, Rebecca Gullet faces Marrisa Ellis.
Three amateur bouts will happen at Spartan Fighting Alliance in Emporia, Kansas. Selena Rodriguez battles Jianna Denizard; Lacey Harris-Jacobs faces Jaycee Wells, and Re’nea Rutledge takes on Tabitha Patterson.
In other ammy bouts:
- In Salem, NH, Fernanda Araujo faces Kim Russell at Combat Zone MMA
- Jenna Fox and Christina Skinner will main event East Peoria Throwdown in Peoria, IL
- At Premier Fight Night 5 in Abilene, TX, Kelsey Hundt faces Eva Mendoza
- Destiney Word takes on Crystal Knepp at ROT Rally MMA in Austin, Texas
In boxing in Stockholm, Sweden, Frida Wallberg will defend her WIBA/WBC super featherweight title against Diana Prazak. Wallberg is currently undefeated and will be defending her title for the third time. The last time was over a year ago against Amanda Serrano. Prazak is coming off an unanimous decision loss to Holly Holm this past December. Prazak was on an eleven fight win streak before facing Holm.
Enis Pacheco will defend her WBO lightweight title in Buenos Aires, Argentina as she faces Maria Elena Maderna. Pacheco (10-1-2) is coming off back to back draws. Maderna is coming off a decision loss to current IBF super featherweight champion Claudia Andrea Lopez.
In other boxing action:
- In Santiago de Chile, Chile, WBA Fedelatin bantamweight champion Carolina Rodriguez will defend her title against Maria Andrea Miranda
- In Queens, New York Susan Reno faces Vanessa Greco
- In Texas, Jennifer Han battles Nydia Feliciano
In kickboxing action this weekend, WPMF Muay Thai will feature five fights for their Japan vs. Thailand fight card:
- Erika Kamimura (c) vs Churi-Gotha Jim Wynn – WPMF world mini flyweight title
- Chiharu vs Teppusa So Step Jal – WPMF world pin weight title
- Takada Binding vs Pets Sea Nin Sit Jet Pong – WPMF World Lightweight title
- Little Tiger (c) vs Payakkuin Muesayamu – WPMF World mini flyweight interim champion
- Gracyer Aki vs Pets Yohji – WPMF World flyweight championship tournament finals
In other kickboxing action:
- At “Risky Business” in Hurstville, Australia, Carol Earl faces Gaela Nixon
- In Nitra, Slovakia, Alena Hola takes on Roxana Gaal
- At Bounded Fist Muay Thai in Mesa, Arizona, Sue Burbank faces Christina Ramos for the USMTA Duel State title
- At Fight Night in Craigie, Australia, Kate Houston takes on Abby Nelson for the South Pacific Featherweight title
- In England, Kate Stables faces Patricia Figueiredo
- At WKN International Prestige Fight in France, Amel Dehby battles Marta Branas Blanco
- At the Hoost cup in Japan, Satoko Sasaki faces Maria Pantazis, while Jemyma Betrian takes on a yet to be named opponent
- At the Wicked One Tournament in France, Laetitia Bakissy faces Claire Musani