Justine Kish improved to 4-0 with her win over Randa Markos-Thomas this past Friday at RFA in Los Angeles. Kish’s Muay Thai and ability to stuff takedowns made the huge difference in the unanimous decision win. Markos had a late rally in the third round, almost getting the armbar submission but Kish escaped and an out the clock.
Markos gets her first loss as a pro.
Bennett Courtesy Bob Norbutt
Deanna Bennett remains undefeated as a pro as she got the first round rear naked choke over Sharon Jacobson at Showdown MMA in Utah. Bennett improves to 3-0 as a bantamweight.
Delaney Owens made a successful pro debut as she defeated experienced pro Sarah Alpar (now 4-3) at Sugar Creek Showdown in Hinton, OK. Alpar was dominant in the fight, but Owens rallied to get a rear naked choke in the third round.
Elkins Courtesy Hoodlum Photography
At Destiny MMA in Honolulu, Hawaii, Jenny Liou made a successful debut over fellow debuter Rachael Ostovich by TKO in round 2.
Featherweight prospect Brittney Elkin took an unanimous decision over Summer Bradshaw on Elkin’s pro debut at SCL MMA on Denver, CO. In an amateur flyweight title match on the card, champion Shannon Culpepper defeated Heather Sachleben by split decision.
Moyle vs. Alba Courtesy Ray Kasprowicz
In amateur action this past weekend:
- At Tuff-n-uff in Las Vegas, NV, Jamie Moyle defeated Stephanie Alba by unanimous decision in a 110 pound catchweight bout. Moyle came in 4 pound over weight. Also on the card, Cheyanne Vlismas submitted Sheena Brandenburg by armbar round 2.
- Katlyn Chookagian picks up her 6th win as she submitted Andrea Lee armbar in round 3 at Ascend Combat in Shreveport, LA. You can watch the video here.
- In a pair of bouts at Wild Bill’s Fight Night in Duluth, Georgia Maddie Wilbanks took only 25 seconds to TKO Erin Bell, and Sarah Hedges took the unanimous decision over Stephanie Tinsley.
- Jade Chun defeated Stephanie Meganck by unanimous decision and Hannah Zeciri submitted Holly Torrez by armbar at 1:52 of round 1 at KC MMA in Kansas City, MO.
- In Houghton Lake, Michigan at SCFL, Angela Jennings defeated Courtney Losievsky by TKO 0:47 of round 1 and Tabatha Shanks submitted Chauntel Wallace by neck crank round 2.
- At ABMMA in Biloxi, MS, Miki Rogers got the armbar submission over Anna Smith in round 2 and Monica Hueron defeated Lisa Anastario by TKO round 1.
- Devaney Clayton defeated Brianna Smith by TKO (retirement) round 2 at WFC – Baton Rouge, LA
- At Rumble at the Roseland in Portland, Oregon Jennifer Gaspard submitted Joy Edwards by triangle choke in 48 seconds.
- Molly Wren-Holmes defeated Alyson Carvalho by unanimous decision at Art of MMA in Thousand Oaks, California
In boxing this weekend:
- In Santa Fe, NM, Monica Lovato defeated DJ Morrision by TKO round 4
- Arely Mucino defeated Tenkai Tsunami by split decision in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
- In Santa Fe, Argentina, Cristina Beatriz Cuevas defeated Soledad Segui by unanimous decision
The XFC tryouts were this past weekend with around a dozen female fighters in attendance along side the males. Even though none of the women got the big five fight deal, word is several did get an offer to fight for the XFC. No word on who those were.
Among those trying out were Olympic wrestler from El Salvador Ingrid Medrano (she didn’t make it past the sparring session) but still one to look out for.
Roma Pawelek made an impression as she made it pretty far in the tryout. XFC President John Prisco did praise her for making it as far as she did and may still fight for the promotion in the future.
The German combat sports site Ground and Pound has announced the winners of their 2013 awards.
MMA Female Fighter of the year went to Kristin Handel. The German featherweight made her pro debut this past year, with a decision win over Katharina Albinus.
Female Kickboxer of the Year went to Dr. Christine Theiss. Theiss went 2-1 in 2013, splitting a pair of bouts with Russia’s Olga Stavrova.
Female boxer of the year went to undefeated WBO/WBF middleweight champion Christine Hammer. She defended her title three times in 2013, with one TKO.
No surprise, but Ronda Rousey and Miehsa Tate took home the Middleasy 2013 Award for MMA Beef of the Year.The feud took 38.46% of the vote.
ViragoFC has announced its first 2 match for its debut card.
Sarah Cook (4-7) will face Anna Abrams (2-0) March 9 in Williamsburg, KY. Also announced, Maddy Simmons will face Brianna Lynch
More matches are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
Jessica Aguilar took home $30,000 for her title win over Alida Gray a few weeks ago at World Series of fighting. Gray got $5000 for her efforts.
On their heels of the card Friday night, RFA has announced their next card in March 7 in Lincoln, NE. No pro female bouts are scheduled, but on the untelevised amateur undercard, Stephanie Watts will face Alyce Elizabeth Roen. Janie Konyek is also expected to fight on the card.
U of MMA Marina Shafir has an opponent for what could be her final amateur MMA bout. Nicole Upshaw (1-1) has stepped up for the match at U of MMA February 9.
Pro bantamweight fighter Sarah Lacina will become the first female MMA fighter to be on “Survivor”. Lachina (1-1) last fought in 2011, losing to Kelly Warren via submission. The new season of “Survivor” debuts February 26.
Calie Cutler (6-1 amateur) has announced she is turning pro and will fight her first pro match in March. More details to come.
Germany’s Anne Merkt (1-1) looks to rebound from her first pro loss as she will face Brazilian Luana Souza at “We love MMA” in Oberhausen, Germany on Feb. 1. Souza will make her pro debut. The fight is expected to be streamed.
Swedish atomweight Iman Helin Darabi will compete in her 2nd pro fight April 5 at IRFA 6.0 in Stockholm, Sweden. The opponent is yet to be announced.
A pair of female matches are planned for Steelfist MMA April 19. In an amateur featherweight bout, Charlene Donahue will face Krystal Larson, while Rachel Kemker will face a yet to be named opponent at heavyweight.
Mexico’s Xtreme Kombat returns to action in Mexico City, Mexico with a pair of female bouts March 1
Anely Jimenez (7-1) looks to rebound from her first pro loss as she takes on Tania Pereda. Wendy Arellano (1-1) is looking for her second pro win as she takes on Karina Gonzalez.
The boxing documentary “Last Woman Standing” is going to be available on iTunes January 28th.
The film chronicles Canadian boxers Ariane Fortin and Mary Spencer as they prepare for the 2012 Olympic Games.
We will have a complete review of the film this week.
On the Promoting Real Women podcast last week, Jessica Penne admitted she didn’t want to go back up to 115 and was why initially she didn’t take an offer to be a part of the “The Ultimate Fighter 20″. She has regretted the decision and will try out for the show.
According to an interview with Fox Sports, former Miss United States Whitney Miller is looking to make a transition to MMA. Miller had started doing BJJ three months ago and placed second in her first grappling tournament. She still has a ways to go before he MMA debut. She is looking to fight at atomweight.
BJJ world champion Miriam Cordoso told us on the Wombat Sports podcast her goal is to fight at atomweight for Invicta. The BJJ black belt is tipping the scales at the moment at 113 ahead of her strawweight match against Katie Howard.
It is a “possibility” she may try out for “The Ultimate Fighter 20″ but her team won’t make the decision until after the fight. Her training partner Amy Cadwell-Montenegro stated she will be trying out for the show.
Will cover these on the MRS on the column’s usual day on Friday.