In MMA action on Thursday, Ashley Greenway picked up her second amateur strawweight belt by defeating Ashley Miller by armbar round 1 at Victory Combat Sports in New York City.
In Šturovo, Slovakia Thursday, Veronika Hornyak defeated Sara Csillag by TKO round 2 in boxing.
Courtesy Lion Fight
Cyborg Justino and Jennifer Colomb both came in on weight for their Muay bout at Lion Fight Promotions in Vegas Friday night. The fight will air on AXS-TV.
Justino will be making her major Muay Thai debut outside of her native Brazil and is the current InivictaFC MMA featherweight champion. Colomb is currently 10-0 with all wins by first round stoppage.
In an untelevised bout on the card, Angela Hill looks to improve her record to 15-0 as she takes on fellow undefeated fighter Monique Travis.
Markezic and Woodie
The Tuff-n-uff featherweight tournament will get underway Friday night in Vegas with the quarterfinal round matches.
Six of the eight weighed in Thursday, as Ashley Osman had to pull out, leaving Bethany Del Cid without an opponent. It’s not known if Del Cid will be getting a bye into the semi-finals or will be fighting for her spot on the next card.
The pairings for Friday night are:
- Lorena Markezic vs. Chloe Woodie
- Shannon Reid vs. Autumn King
- Bryanna Fissori vs. Jessica Zomchik
We are hearing King came in overweight but the match will go as planned as an exhibition. Reid will advance into the tournament semi-finals no matter if she wins or doesn’t.
The matches will stream live for $5 on Tuff-n-uff’s UStream channel.
Since the women didn’t compete on “The Ultimate Fighter”, we didn’t do a report. However, we can tell you next week, it will be Roxanne Modafferi versus Jessica Rakcozy in the second quaterfinal.
It will air on Fox Sports 1 on Thursday.
If you want a hilarious video recap our friends at WMMA Round-up has got the hook-up.
Erica Paes sustained a knee injury in training and is bowing out of her match with Holly Holm at LegacyFC October 11 in Allen, TX. In her place will be Alaskan fighter Nikki Knudsen.
Knudsen (2-1) has gotten first round stoppages in her two win as a pro. She got a submission in her last bout this past January. She trains out of Gracie Barra Alaska.
The match will air on AXS-TV October 11.
Flyweight prospects Amanda Bobby Cooper and Heather Bassett will battle on November 15th on the North American Fighting Championship: “Unrivaled” card in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Michigan native Cooper (8-3 ammy) will make her pro debut on the card. She racked up one of the fastest KOs in the women’s division’s history. She took out Tori Music in 8 seconds to win the WXC flyweight title. She has finished her last four opponents within the distance.
Bassett (1-0) racked up her first pro win a few weeks ago at King of the Cage getting the first round submission over Breea Gilbert. Bassett went 5-2 as an amateur, having won her last three ammy matches before her pro win.
No word on if the match will be streamed.
OneFC did a great video piece on Sherilyn Lim, who will be debuting for the promotion October 18 versus Ann Ossman. You can watch it here.
On the podcast Sunday at 1 p.m. pst/4 p.m. eastern, we will have New Mexico’s own Stacey Sigala who will look for her second win as a pro bantamweight as she takes on TJ Cunanan at Rocktagon 29 in El Paso, TX Sept. 28.
The UFC has yet to announce Alexandra Albu’s signing. There is speculation that Albu’s team maybe “trolling” the MMA media for publicity. We shall see.
Another rumored fighter on the InvictaFC card is Katja Kankaanpää. This adds to Felice Herrig (who is confirmed) and Joanne Calderwood (not confirmed). So expect a lot of strawweight action.
One person not expected to be there is Mauro Ranallo, who will be doing boxing commentary for Showtime. More than likely Bas Rutten will be filling in.
Two pro bouts are set internationally:
- At MMA Downunder 4 in Adelaide, Australia Mae-Lin Leow (1-2) and Arlene Blencowe (2-4) look to improve their records in the bantamweight division. The fight will stream on epicentre.tv for $14.95.
- Flyweight Tina Lähdemäki looks to improve to 4-0 as she takes on pro debuter Stephanie Page at Cage 23 in Finland
The Warrior’s Cage in Lansing, Michigan is set for four women’s title matches, plus two additional bouts.
- Joann Nguyen vs Cora Thompson for the TWC Bantamweight title
- Kelly Flow vs Sara Van Kammen for the TWC Flyweight title
- Rachael Smith vs Kyna Sisson for the TWC Strawweight title
- Alyse Anderson vs Taylor Denslow for the TWC Atomweight title
- Abigail Copelin vs Amber Rodriguez (bantamweight bout)
- Katelyn Dykas vs Vanessa Meinke (bantamweight bout)
We will have live results Saturday on out twitter account @WombatSports.
Ignite Fighting Championship in Amarillo, Texas will feature three women’s division bouts.
- Angel Jones vs. Jianna Denizard
- Mercedes Chavez vs. Bianca Rodriguez (135)
- Sanaz Khamisi vs. Elisa Marrugo (115)
In other Ammy MMA action:
- At Fight Lab in Charlotte, North Carolina, Nicole Ertzberger will take on Amy Bybee
- Amy Holland will face Cassandra Walker as Hard Rock MMA 57 in Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Ana Laura Esteche and Victoria Noelia Bustos will battle for the vacant IBF lightweight title in Santa Fe, Argentina.
Esteche (9-2-1) is looking for her first world title after fighting to a draw against former WBO champ Enis Pacheco last year. She has since won her past three.
Bustos (9-2) is coming off a unanimous decision win over Yohanna Belen Alfonso in June. She has won 3 of her last four fights.
Also on the card, Alejandra Maria de Lujan Rios (6-3-2) will take on Leonela Paola Yudica Andino (4-0-1) in a flyweight bout.
In other boxing action:
- In Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Lisa Brown battles Amanda Beaudin
- Ruth Aquino faces Lorena Gomez in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- In Santa Fe, Argentina, Gabriela Marcela Zapata takes on Roxana Beatriz Laborde