Cyborg via Instragram
There has been some frustration in the Cyborg Santos camp according to her manager Tito Ortiz. Ortiz has been trying to have her cut down weight for a possible match with UFC 135 champ Ronda Rousey. In an interview with Ariel Helwani this week, Ortiz states that Cyborg has been off weight training and is concentrating on her jiu-jitsu, but she still feels she can’t make it to 135.
The former Strikeforce champ’s walking weight is between 160-165 pounds, and Cyborg is worried too much of a cut would effect her health and viability to have children. In her own post this week, Cyborg stated she wouldn’t go to 135, but would take on Rousey “with one hand tied behind her back” at 140.
Jessamyn Duke tweeted she will return to InvictaFC on the April card. Opponent to be announced.
XFC’s April 19th event will be in Louisville, KY according to a press release. Besides the already announced Stephanie Eggink vs. Angela Magana in a strawweight title qualifier; Angelica Chavez is also set to fight a yet to be named opponent.
InvictaFC vet Lacey Schuckman (who we had recently on the podcast) has been VLogging her training for her upcoming match with Darla Harris at Sparta Combat League. You can catch part 1 here courtesy of Ground and Pound Germany.
InvictaFC’s Bec Hyatt was featured on Australian show “The Project” and you can watch the video here.
The future of WMMA looks bright considering all the young talent that’s out there. With American girls as young as 10 already training to become the next InvictaFC champ, a girl in Russia, who looks like she is maybe six or seven, is looking to be a good prospect. MiddleEasy has the video of this little prodigy here.
The Super Fight League maybe off for the next few months, but they are doing their part to help women’s self defense. Throughout the past month, company COO and former fighter Daniel Isaac and SFL trainer Alan Fenandes held six seminars through their DNA Self Defense classes in different Indian cities. Olympic boxing bronze medalist Mary Kom was in attendance for their Jan. 14 event. No word on when the SFL will have their next MMA event.
Reminder that out podcast is this Sunday at 1 p.m. pacific/4 p.m. eastern with Australian fighter Belinda Sedgwick. You can listen to the podcast live here.
InvictaFC’s own Joanne Calderwood has a rumored fight for her hometown promotion, On Top MMA, in Glasgow, Scotland Feb. 23. A formal announcement of her match and opponent are expected in the next few days.
A new list of fighters have crossed our desk as possible participants for InvictaFC 5. Among them bantamweight River Ruckus Jones (6-0 ammy), strawweight Kathlin Catron (2-0 pro), and flyweight Juliana Lima (5-0 pro).
Friday nights bouts (MMA)
- In Tulsa, OK, Jordan Gaza (0-1) takes on Kathina Catron (2-0) on the XFL card Friday night in a pro bout.
- At Johnny Tapia Presents: Next Chapter Part 2 in Albuquerque, NM, Lynae Lovato (0-2) fights Ashley Aguirre (0-1) in a pro bout.
Saturday’s bouts (MMA)
- Across the pond in Herne, Germnay, Jorina Baars (0-2) faces Alexandra Buch (5-1) at MMA Bundesliga in a pro bout.
- The Dakota Nation: Young Guns card in Ft. Yates, ND features two bouts. In the pro ranks, Jessica Doerner (2-1) takes on Milly Brown (pro debut); while Miranda Little Bear takes on Nevada Bear Ribs in a heavyweight contest. Both will be making their debuts in MMA.
Sundays Bouts (MMA)
- In a rare Sunday night bout, pros Sumie Sakai (2-3) and Jamie Lowe (pro debut) will duke it out at the CFFC 19 card in Atlantic City, NJ.
Filed under: MMA