At PXC Friday morning in Guam, Cortney Casey defeats Tomo Maesawa by TKO (corner stoppage) round 1.
Rin Nakai is officially a part of the UFC. Nakai was at the UFC Japan press conference Thursday, formally announcing the fight between herself and Miesha Tate September 20 in Satimyama, Japan. The fight will be on UFC Fight Pass.
Nakai (16-0-1) is facing her toughest opponent in Tate (14-5) and a win would put her in the UFC title hunt.
For the first time at the ESPY Awards a female MMA fighter has been nominated.
UFC champion Ronda Rousey has been nominated for two of the sport channel’s awards; “Female Athlete of the Year” and “Best Fighter”. The Awards will broadcast on July 16.
Undefeated flyweight Roma Pawelek will have her last amateur fight August 1 at Tuff-n-uff MMA in Vegas. She will take on Aspen Ladd (7-1) for the Tuff-n-uff 125 title in the bout.
Pawelek (5-0) has finished in all her fights with her strong ground game. Ladd (7-1) has yet to be finished in a fight, finishing in five of her 7 wins.
It is expected to stream on Go Fight Live for $12.
Flannery Courtesy Skyline Productions
Wimp2Warrior had their second season finale card last weekend in Sydney, Australia, which saw five female fights. All of them were making their MMA debuts after training for the past six months on the show, which turns ordinary people into fighters.
- Alessia Espinosa-Vallve def. Komlani Turnbull by submission
- Isabella Truong def. Kelly Renford by decision
- Jay Vautier Hartnett def. Nina Ridder by TKO round 1
- Angela Flannery def. Amy Robinson by TKO round 1
- Roxey Kelly def. Kelly Lawson by decision
We hope these ladies will continue their journey in MMA.
InvictaFC champion Michelle Waterson joined the ever growing sisterhood that has tried the “Ninja Warrior” course.
The tv show challenges athletes all over the world to take on one of the most difficult obstacle courses ever conceived. Waterson was the first female MMA fighter to take on the American version. She didn’t fair too well, but that’s par for the course.
A list of female fighters that tried the Japanese course include Megumi Fujii, Mizuno Yuko, Yuka Tsuji, Hisae Watanabe, and Kyra Gracie. No one has finished it.
Two more fighters will be appearing on the Japanese version as Shootboxer Rena and Muay Thai fighter Little Tiger will try to get farther than the rest.
You can watch Waterons’s run here. (43 min. in)
RFA matchmaker Scott Cutbirth announced this week the date for the first card of his new promotion “Survivor Fighting Alliance”. The amateur promotion’s debut card will take place September 20.
The promotion will be used as a stepping stone for up and coming talent to be signed to promotions like TitanFC and RFA. Cutbirth stated he is a huge supporter of female fighters, and will look to add female divisions starting with his first show.
On the podcast Sunday at 1 p.m. pst/4 p.m. est, we will talk to TUF 18′s Sarah Moras about her official UFC debut and the road back to the cage.
UFC Tonight reported that Holly Holm’s negotiations with the UFC are heating back up. The promotion and Holm’s management had a rocky start a few months ago in their first meeting, but it looks like the UFC is still interested.
On the other hand, Gina Carano’s contract negotiations have stalled. Carano’s Strikeforce contract ended this past week. With Scott Coker taking over Bellator’s operations, it could be used as leverage if Carano comes back to the table.
According to a tweet on her twitter, Amanda Nunes is expected to make a fight announcement soon.
Ronda Rousey stated she will be “taking a vacation” after her title match July 5. However, she is looking to defend her title two more times before the year’s end.
TUF 18 hopeful Colleen Schneider is back in the cage this weekend as she will face DeAnna Bennett at Showdown Fights in Orem, UT.
Schneider (5-4) has won four straight, all by finishes. In her last fight, she got an armbar submission over Christina Marks in September.
The undefeated Bennett (3-0) has a win over TUF 18 winner Julianna Pena. Recently, she submitted Sharon Jacobson by first round rear naked choke in January.
In an amateur bout on the card, Kaytlin Neil faces Veta Arteaga.
In other pro bouts:
- At CES MMA in Lincoln, RI, Kaline Medeiros takes on Brigitte Narcise
- Katlyn Chookagian battles Rebecca Heintzman at CFFC in Philadelphia, PA
In amateur action this weekend:
- In a trio of fights at XFO in Rockford, Illinois, Stacy Lutchman takes on Rickie Gomes, Shelby Hungness faces Brittany Giddings, and Chi Sheibley battles Terri Worley
- At Cowboys Extreme Cage Fighting in San Antonio, Texas, Dominique Gonzales fights Katherine Roy, and Stephanie Builderback takes on Kelsey Hundt
- Yasmin Almonte faces Elizabeth Vansertima and Jenna Serio battles Lauren Braccia at Ring of Combat in North Bergen, New Jersey
- At Spartan Fighting Alliance in Osage City, Kansas, Tabitha Patterson fights Autumn Lamle
- Yuri Madina takes on Maegan Goodwin at Battleground MMA in Tulsa, OK
- At Spartan Combat League in Denver, CO, Mallory Martin battles Laura Dettman
- Kim Russell faces Rebecca Moore at Combat Zone in Salem, NH
Munoz and Domsodi Courtesy Golden Boy
A pair of WBC title bouts are set for Hidalgo, Mexico.
Zulina Munoz will defend her WBC super flyweight title against Renata Domsodi. Munoz (41-1-2) is on a 16 fight unbeaten streak and will be defending her title for the 6th time. Domsodi (12-4) is the current WBF and UBO Intentional bantamweight champion.
In a battle for the vacant WBC bantamweight title, Yazmin Rivas (29-8) will face Alesia Graf (26-4).
This will air in Mexico on Televisa.
In Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Dahiana Santana and Francia Elena Bravo will duke it out for the interim WBA featherweight title. Santana (33-6) is the current IBF featherweight champion on a six fight win streak. Bravo is on a seven fight win streak and is looking for her first world title.
WIBA welterweight champion Tori Nelson looks to continue her unbeaten streak alive as she takes on Nicole Woods in Baltimore, Maryland.
Nelson (9-0-3) is looking to defend her title for the third time. Woods (11-13-3) is looking for her first world title, and to gain a much needed win.
Also on the card, Tyrieshia Douglas dukes it out with Christina Fuentes.
In other boxing action:
- Jessica Nery Plata defends her WBC Youth light flyweight title against Cristina Vargas in Mexico City, Mexico. Also on the card, Sandra Hernandez takes on Fredee Gonzalez
- In Sandersdorf, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany, Nicole Wesner faces Hana Horakova
- Jesica Espinal battles Lisbeth Lopez in Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- In El Paso, Texas, Jennifer Han dukes it out with Christina Ruiz
- In a pair of bouts in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, Sandra Robles takes on Zenny Sotomayor, and Amaris Quintana faces Susana Uribe