This weekend was a brutal training weekend, beginning with a 2.2 mile swim following by a 120 mile bike ride and topped off with an 18 mile run. During the bike ride, I had a lot of time to think. It was a grueling ride, out to the Point Reyes lighthouse. I’d never been there before and wasn’t sure what to expect, other than lots of fog. It was like no man’s land. A rolling and curving road, with deceptively painful climbs, flanked by ocean on each side. I was never quite sure how far into no man’s land we were headed, as I never actually saw that damn lighthouse.
So I tried to keep myself entertained by random things while I rode, for hours and hours. Literally hours…
In no particular order, things one wouldn’t normally ever think about, except while riding a painfully long bike ride:
1. me on a moving bike + flying object (bug) coming at me = ouch.
2. peeing in the bushes, which happen to be thorny.
3. vans that don’t know how to pass and travel behind me for miles despite a road wide enough for a trailer truck.
4. wind. I’d like to take the buddhist approach and say, I see you. But I can’t see you. You’re just there. To torture me.
5. songs I get stuck in my head = got my mind set on you, george harrison. oddly enough, this fits so well…
But its gonna take money
A whole lotta spending money
Its gonna take plenty of money
To do it right child
Its gonna take time
A whole lot of precious time
Its gonna take patience and time, ummm
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it,
To do it right
6. how do people do so much more? professional cyclists, ultraman…yikes.
7. gatorade dripping on my calves. it sticks there. yuck.
8. runny nose. too bad I always seem to forget my box of kleenex on my rides.
9. I should blog about this random stuff later.
10. how tired I am. maybe it’s time for bed.