Here are some of the top performing teams at this weekend’s Mary Nutter Classic in Cathedral City, California, near Palm Springs:
- No. 1/2 Oklahoma breezed through its five games, shutting out the opponent in four of them. The Sooners’ biggest-name opponent was No. 14/19 Arizona.
- UCLA went 5-0, with wins over No. 4 Tennessee, Maryland, Oklahoma State, No. 10/11 LSU, and Nevada. These wins should catapult the No. 13/16 Bruins into the national Top 10.
- Unranked Northwestern (5-0), whose victims included Tennessee.
- Oregon State, which went 5-0 (although not against any elite teams) and has now won 11 straight overall. The Beavers are unranked, although they are listed as receiving some votes for the Top 25 in the USA Today/NFCA poll.
- Cal went 4-0, although the No. 8 Golden Bears did not face elite opposition.
- No. 7 Missouri went 3-0, edging its new SEC rival, No. 5 Florida 4-3 in 12 innings. The loss was the Gators’ only one of the tourney. Separate from the Nutter Classic, Mizzou rounded out its trip to southern California with a doubleheader split at Cal State Fullerton.
- LSU, which went 4-1, including a win over Arizona.
- No. 9/11 Oregon, which concluded its play late Sunday afternoon, went 5-0.
- No. 22 Washington went undefeated (4-0) against collegiate competition, losing only to the USSSA Pride, a professional team with many star players familiar to longtime college-softball fans.
Finally, in terms of individual honors, Stanford frosh Kelsey Stevens pitched a perfect game over Virginia.
Updated late Sunday night.