The Ultimate Fighter 23 kicked off Wednesday with some solid performances by some familiar and new faces. Sixteen strawweights were wound down to eight as three InvictaFC vets made it into the house. The night kicked off with Amanda Bobby Cooper overwhelming armbar win over judoka Mellony Geugjes. Jamie Moyle recovered after her first pro loss at Invicta getting the rear naked choke over Alyssa Krahn. To round out the InvictaFc vets, JJ Aldrich had a dominate performance over Kristi Lopez.
Two bouts stood out as “Fights of the Night”.
Ashley Cummins was close to finishing as Lanchana Green was able to defend a rear naked choke as the first round ended. Green out struck Cummins in round 2 and get the TKO in one of the best comebacks in TUF history.
The other bout saw controversy as Ashley Yoder and Jodie Esquibel fought a close two round fight, which many thought should have went to a thrid round, including UFC President Dana White. Yoder takes a split decision.
The surprise of the night was that three British fighters will be in the house as Helen Harper, Kate Jackson, and Green all finish their opponents.
Tatiana Suarez used her wrestling to defeat Team Couture’s Chelsea Bailey and was selected as the #1 draft pick of the show.
Team selection happened post fight. Complete results and teams are below.
- Amanda Bobby Cooper def. Mellony Geugjes by armbar 1:00 round 1 (C)
- Lanchana Green def. Ashley Cummins by TKO round 2 (C)
- Jamie Moyle def. Alyssa Krahn by rear naked choke 4:02 round 1(J)
- Ashley Yoder def. Jodie Esquibel by split decision (J)
- JJ Aldrich* def. Kristi Lopez by unanimous decision (J)
- Tatiana Suarez* def. Chelsea Bailey by unanimous decision (C)
- Kate Jackson def. Irene Cabello-Rivera by TKO round 2 (C)
- Helen Harper def.Amy Montenegro by armbar round 1 (J)
(C) – Team Claudia
(J) – Team Joanna
(*) – Number 1 team pick