Connecticut’s monumental win to tie the Division I basketball winning streak record was the lead story of the weekend. In the second game of the double-header Maggie Dixon Classic, the No. 1 team in the nation beat No. 11 Ohio State 81-50 on Sunday afternoon in front of a crowd of 15,232 at Madison Square Garden. The win marked the 88th straight victory for the Huskies, matching a record set by the John Wooden-led UCLA men from 1971-74.
The team is already the leader in the rankings for longest winning streaks in NCAA women’s basketball history.
Tiffany Hayes led UConn with 26 points and Maya Moore added 22.
Other top 25 scores from Sunday:
- No. 6 Tennessee 82, No. 3 Stanford 72, OT
Tennessee denies Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer her 800th career win for a second time. The Cardinal defeat by DePaul last week in Chicago was the first time she had a chance to join the 800 club.
- No. 9 UCLA 72, Hawaii 44
- No. 8 Texas A&M 79, Rutgers 50
- Arkansas 67, No. 12 Oklahoma 57
- No. 10 North Carolina 75, South Carolina 51
- No. 18 St. John’s 56, UC Santa Barbara 47
- No. 19 Maryland 79, Delaware State 49
- No. 20 Georgetown 72, Missouri State 59
- No. 23 Texas 85, UNLV 59
- No. 25 Boston College 85, UNC-Wilmington 55