In 2008, Pat Williams, the GM of the Orlando Magic and a tremendous motivational speaker put out a book, “The Ultimate Coaches’ Clinic.” It is a fascinating book because of the style Pat utilized. He surveyed over 1000 coaches and administrators for insights to what is important to successfully do their job. From time to time I will share a few but it is a great book to own and I highly recommend it. Today we look at the thoughts of Louisiana Tech’s Hall of Fame coach, Leon Barmore.
1. Have a deep care for each person on your roster. They will pick up on that.
2. Know your subject matter and keep learning as much as you can.
3. Your players must buy into the team concept. Team comes before self.
4. Everyone has problems, but the one who solves them is the one who wins.
5. Surround yourself with loyal, dedicated, and trustworthy people.
6. Give it all you’ve got every day.
7. Never get discouraged. Keep going through the tough times.