We are flipping the script this week as we start out with three huge boxing matches from this past weekend.
After trying to defeat Melissa Hernandez on two different occasions, Jelena Mrdjenovich was able to win the WBC featherweight title via technical decision. Mrdjenovich would be cut by an accidental headbutt in round 2, but would fight on until the referee stopped it in the 6th. Due to the accidental fowl, they went to the judges and awarded the bout to Mrdjenovich by unanimous decision.
After suffering losses to two of the best in the world, Anne Sophie Mathis found success and another title as she moved up to middleweight and won the vacant WBF light middleweight title. Mathis (now 26-3) was able to finish her opponent Yahaira Hernandez in round 5 in her home country of France to take the belt.
In a battle of top light flyweights, Jessica Chavez became the first boxer to defeat Yesica Yolanda Bopp. The two battle for 10 hard fought rounds with Chavez getting the unanimous decision win.
In other boxing action:
- In Rio Negro, Argentina, Daniela Romina Bermudez def. Neisi Torres by TKO round 1 to win the vacant WBO bantamweight title
- Elina Tissen successfully defended her GBC/WIBF/GBU featherweight titles in Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany def. Doris Koehler by unanimous decision
- Anahi Torres def. Lorena Mendoza by unanimous decision to retain WBC Youth minimumweight title in Mexico City, Mexico
- In Panama City, Panama, Zuliana Mendoza def. Luiciel Quiel by unanimous decision
- Natalia Vanesa Aguirre def. Victoria Noelia Bustos by split decision in Rio Negro, Argentina
- Mansfield, Queensland, Australia saw Sabrina Ostowari def. Narelle Leahey by unanimous decision
- Ana Lozano def. Jenifer Perez by TKO round 3 def. San Antero, Colombia
Eye vs. Damm Courtesy OhioMMA.com
#2 Unified ranked Jessica Eye racked up win #14 as she was able to take Carina Damm to an unanimous decision victory. Damm was game, and was able to make the first round close, while taking the second. It was Eye the took the third and the victory.
Charmaine Tweet continues her run at featherweight getting her third straight win. Tweet took on InvictaFC vet Amanda Bell and was able about to get the rear naked choke submission in round 1. She improves to 4-3.
In an upset this weekend, veteran fighter Patricia Vidonic lost to pro debuter Alida Gray at Sugar Creek Showdown in Oklahoma. Gray was able to sink in the armbar at 2:19 of round 2 to get the submission win.
In other pro MMA action:
- At Legacy Fighting in Corpus Christi, TX, Paulina Granados def. Maria Lopez by submission (armbar) round 1
- In Corrientes, Argentina at 360 ProFight, Vanessa Guimaraes def. Laura Balin by unanimous decision
- Bethe Correia def. Juliete de Souza Silva by unanimous decision at WCombat 17 in Amapa, Brazil
- At Cage Challenge in Sweden, Linn Wennergren def. Vuokko Kaitainen by unanimous decision
In the amateur MMA ranks, Brittany Dugas imporves her record to 6-0 as she gets the third round armbar submission win over Jessica Laubacker to win the 125 pound title at Cage of Honor in Scott City, MO. Dugas will not have much time to rest as she will face fellow amateur standout Susie Wyatt June 15 at ShamrockFC in St. Louis.
In other amateur actions:
At Hybred Fighting in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada, Éloise Picard def. Anita Baroud by submission (strikes) 1:46 round 4 to win the flyweight title
In a pair of bouts at Steel Fist Fight Night in Farmington, UT, Aubree Thompson def. Amanda Campbell by TKO round 3, while Jesse Engler def. Michelle Marshall by submission (rear naked choke) round 1
Anne Malinoff def. Summer Asbury by submissions (triangle choke) 0:30 round 1 at HoosierFC in Valparaiso, Indiana
In Chester, PA at Xtreme Fight Events Cage Wars, Katie Taylor def. Viktoria Makarova by unanimous decision.
In a pair of bouts at Ultimate Reno Combat in Nevada, Brieta Carpenter def. Nikole Meath by submission (armbar) 0:30 round 1 and Autumn Norton def. Amber Leibrock by submission (armbar) 1:15 round 1
At Knucklehead Fight Promotions in Oregon, Laurell Rieger def. Amy Croghan by TKO 0:46 round 1