Murphy vs. Nakamoto Courtesy InvictaFC/Ester Lin
A loaded 8 fight card happened over the weekend as InvictaFC 7 took place in Kansas City, MO.
A new bantamweight champion was crowned as Lauren Murphy took the title after an unfortunate event. Miriam Nakamoto injured her knee during a takedown by Murphy in the third round. After the round ended, Nakamoto stated her knee was injured, but decided to go on to the forth round. Hobbling out of the corner, Nakamoto soon collapsed in pain, prompting an end to the contest.
Murphy (8-0) was disappointed in how she won, but is now the champion at 135.
Honchak vs Smith Courtesy InvictaFC/Ester Lin
In the main event on the card, flyweight champion Barb Honchak control much of the pace in her title match with Leslie Smith. Honchak was able to get a takedown in round 1 and tried to choke out Smith with no success.
Honchak got another takedown and mount in round 2, but Smith was able to fight her way out. Smith kicked into gear in round 3, taking control of the striking game and making it more of a brawl. Honchak regained her composure in round 4 and didn’t let up until the end of the five round fight that had the crowd standing at the end.
The judges all saw it for the champion Honchak, who earns her 8th straight win.
Torres vs. Herrig Courtesy InvictaFC/Ester Lin
In other action on the card:
- Tecia Torres overwhelmed Felice Herrig with her striking and ability to stuff takedowns to win by unanimous decision. Torres improves to 4-0 and gains the biggest win of her career
- The undefeated Joanne Calderwood earned her 8th straight win with a unanimous decision win over Katja Kankaanpaa. The bout was the toughest for both fighters, as Calderwood was able to block takedown attempts. Kankaanpaa was able to stay in the pocket with Calderwood, but Calderwood’s striking was what won the fight.
- Julia Budd used her wrestling to smother Charmaine Tweet to win by unanimous decision
- Vanessa Porto defeated Zoila Gurgel by split decision in an action packed battle to start the main card.
- Tonya Evinger made a successful Invicta debut, outpointing Sarah D’Alelio and getting the unanimous decision
- To start off the card, Nina Ansaroff got the only clean finish on the card, defeating the highly touted Munah Holland by TKO at 3:54 of round 2
You can watch the entire event in InvictaFC’s Youtube channel.
Niedzwiedz def. Hughes courtesy Cage Warriors/ Dolly Clew
Across the pond at Cage Warriors in Newcastle, England, 18 year old Polish MMA phenom Agnieszka Niedzwiedz remains undefeated as she gets the unanimous decision win over Kerry Hughes. Also on the card, Laura Howarth defeated Emma Delaney by split decision.
Amy Cadwell improves to 3-0 as she defeated Jessica Doerner by a first round rear naked choke at CageSport in Tacoma, WA. This is Cadwell’s second straight rear naked choke finish and is looking to be a growing prospect at 115.
At Dynasty Combat Sports in Lincoln, NE, InvictaFC vet Marciea Allen rebounded from her loss to Jessamyn Duke earlier this year by defeating Brenda Rodriguez by unanimous decision. Allen improves to 2-1.
In an amateur bout on the undercard, Janie Konyek defeated Jori Waln by unanimous decision
In pro MMA action in Brazil:
- At Taboão Fight Championship, Talita Nogueira submitted Michele Oliveira by arm triangle choke in round 1
- Tabatha Ricci defeated Daniela Cunha by armbar submission at 2:20 in round 1 at FMC 1.
- At Duelo de Titans, Débora Ferreira TKOed Leticia Santos at 2:13 in round 1
In a battle of undefeated fighters, Katlyn Chookagian improves her record to 5-0 after handing Vanessa Demopoulos her first loss to win the NAAFS strawweight title in Akron OH. Chookagian got the TKO in round 3 and made an argument for ammy strawweight of the year.
Shamrock MMA in St. Louis had a pair of bouts over the weekend. Last minute replacement Alex Stobbe broke a three fight losing streak by defeating Susie Wyatt by unanimous decision. Also on the card, Wendy Julian got a first round TKO over Michelle Pearce.
In other ammy MMA action:
- In Capetown, South Africa at CFL 7, Andrea Hill TKOed Amy Carter in round 3
- Molly Wren-Homes defeated Andrea Martinez by TKO round 1 at King for the Cage in Las Vegas
- In another King of the Cage event in Towaoc, CO, Amanda Lovato defeated Melody Nanez by unanimous decision
- Mackenzie Majewski submitted Che Strait-Martino by rear naked choke at 2:06 in round 1 at Gladius Fights 8 in Ithaca, New York
- At Absolute Action MMA in Florence, Kentucky, Anna Abrams defeated Brooke Evans by unanimous decision
- In Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada, Melanie Leblanc submitted Christina Smith by armbar round 1 to win the Fight Club flyweight title
- Melissa Gasdick TKOed Courtney Kern at 1:03 in round 2 at Gladiators of the Cage in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- In a paor of bouts at Rumble at the Roseland in Portland, Oregon, Kristen Maaranen TKOed Anna Chouinard in 0:38 of round 1, and Jennifer Gaspard defeated Joy Edwards by unanimous decision
Hammer Courtesy x-boxen.com
A pair of WBO/WBF title matches happen in Brandenburg, Germany as both champions retained their titles. Christina Hammer successful defended her WBF/WBO middleweight titles for the 7th time as she TKOed Carmen Garcia in round 1.
WIBF/WBF/WBO super featherweight champ Ramona Kuehne also finished her opponent, Renata Domsodi by TKO in round 6.
In southwest Germany at Baden-Württemberg, Susi Kentikian got an unanimous decision over Simona Galassi to retain her WBA flyweight title. She improves to 32-3.
South of Germany in Vienna, Austria, Eva Voraberger retained her WIBF flyweight title by knocking out Fleis Djendji in round 1 . She improves to 17-3.
Three female boxing matches happened in Entre Rios, Argentina, with a world title match featured on the card.
WBA/WBO light flyweight champion Yesica Yolanda Bopp defended her title, getting the second round TKO over Ana Fernandez. Bopp improves to 26-1.
Also on the card, Adela Celeste del Carmen Peralta defeated Cristina Cuevas by unanimous decision and Maria Angelica Ruiz defeated Maria Eugenia Lopez by majority decision.
In other boxing action:
- Angelique Duchemin gained the vacant France super featherweight title, defeating Cynthia Godbillon by points in Perpignan, France
- In Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Jelena Mrdjenovich KOed Wanda Pena Ozuna in round 1
- Maria Suarez defeated Jolene Blackshear by unanimous decision in Santa Ynez, CA
- In Buenos Aires, Argentina, Paola Gabriela Casalinuovo got the first round TKO over Jeniffer Faccio
- Yamila Reynoso and Mercedes Noemi Salar fight to a draw in San Nicolas, Argentina
- In Cordoba, Argentina, Carolina Marcela Gutierrez Gaite and Anahi Yolanda Salles fought to a no-contest
- Eva Wahlstrom defeated Anna Sikora by unanimous decision in Espoo, Finland
- In Hauts-de-Seine, France, Maiva Hammadouche gets the TKO over Karina Kopinska in round 2
- Irma Sanchez defeated Yesenia Martinez Castrejon by unanimous decision in Guerrero, Mexico
- In Brabant Wallon, Belgium, Sanae Jah defeated Sandy Coget by points
- Christina Rupprecht TKOed Helena Tosnerova in round 1 in Bayern, Germany
- In Baden-Württemberg, Germany, Vivian Fontana got the first round KO over Dajana Bukva