In what a crazy weekend of fights that saw two tournament champions crowned, nine separate countries had MMA action in the female divisions.
Photo Courtesy Mike Antihero
Mexico has crowned it’s first flyweight champion.
Alexa Grasso won two tough bouts Saturday to be crowned the Xtreme Kombat Mexico 125 champ. Grasso (4-0) only took 26 seconds to take care of her semi-final opponent Alejandra Alvarez via TKO.
Grasso’s opponent in the finals, Karina Rodriguez, got a unanimous decision over Anely Jimenez in her semi-final bout.
Grasso and Rodriguez would go the distance in the finals, with all three judges giving Grasso the win and the title.
At King of the Cage in Keshena, WI, Heather Bassett made a spectacular pro debut, as she landed a head kick dropping her opponent Breea Gilbert, and the securing the rear naked choke in round 1. You can watch the video here.
In other Pro MMA action across the planet:
- At NCF 16 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Chayani Mendes defeated Cinthya Mocoto by submission (armbar) round 1
- In Pszow, Poland at MMA Only Gala, Martyna Czech takes the unanimous decision over Izabela Badurek
- Agnieszka Niedzwiedz submits Iren Racz armbar at 3:54 in round 1 at Immortals Fight Promotions 1 – Aberdeen, Scotland
- At Ultimate Beatdown 12 in Malyasia, Helen Harper defeated Liezel Lumindas by TKO round 1
South Africa been developing their women’s divisions over the past year, as Fight Star 4 held an amateur fight this past weekend. Karate and kickboxing champ Santa-Marie Venter would defeat Natasha Elliott by TKO round 1.
Batara Earns Tuff title
Tuff-n-uff MMA has crowned a new 110 pound champ in Las Vegas. Oregon’s Kyra Batara defeated Arizona’s Shasta McMurry by unanimous decision to win the title. Batara improves to 2-1.
Also in Vegas over the weekend, King of the Cage crown an amateur strawweight champion as Danielle Taylor defeated Rachael Smith by TKO round 1.
In Constitucion, Chile, Carolina Rodriguez earned the vacant WIBA bantamweight as she took the unanimous decision over Ana Lozano. Rodriguez remains undefeated at 9-0 and hands Lorenzo her first loss.
Jessica Gonzalez gains some gold as she defeated WBA bantamweight champion Irma Garcia by split decision. Gonzalez snaps Garcia’s seven fight win streak.
In other boxing action:
- In Nashville, Tennessee, Jacqueline Park defeated Carmen Cruz by unanimous decision
- Carol Azure and Latite Olney fight to a split draw in Toppenish, Washington
- In Merida, Yucatán, Mexico, Celia Roman defeated Elizabeth Zarate by unanimous decision
- Angela Marciales gets the first round TKO over Gleydis Jimenez Barranquilla, Colombia
- In Berne, Switzerland, Nicole Boss KOs Alexandra Gorog in round 1
- Celia Roman get sh unanimous decision over Elizabeth Zarate in Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico