Nunes Courtesy Bloody Elbows
Amanda Nunes made her hometown proud by getting a first round TKO win over Sheila Gaff this past Saturday in Rio.
Nunes (now 8-3) was in trouble early with Gaff taking her back, but Nunes used her size and reach to control Gaff, eventually getting her on the mat, take mount, and get the ground and pound win at 2:08 or round 1. Gaff gets her second straight first round loss in the UFC.
Courtesy British Fighter Fightwear
Across the pond at UCMMA in London, England, Kerry Hughes makes a success pro MMA debut getting the unanimous decision win over LJ Adams. Hughes used her striking to bloody Adam’s nose in the opening stanza, with Adams dominating on the mat in the second. With a close last round, it was Hughes’s striking that gave her the edge.
On the other side of the planet, Rhiannon Thompson stays undefeated at 4-0 as she defeats Kenani Mangakahia by TKO 2:43 round 3 to win the Fight World Cup Flyweight title in Australia. Thompson is best know for her head kick KO over InvictaFC star Bec Hyatt. She has finished all of her opponents.
Amateur wrestling standout Danielle Hobeika made a successful return to the cage as she got the first round rear naked choke submission over Sarah Payant to win the Premier Fight League flyweight title in Agawam, MA. Hobeika improves to 2-0.
Katlyn Chookagian earned her third straight armbar win this past weekend, getting the win over Gina Begley at 1:49 of round 1 at NAAFS in Carrolton, OH. Chookagian goes 3-0.
In other amateur MMA action:
- In a pair of bouts at WCFC in Placerville, CA, Arlene Culbreth defeats Dona Garza by split decision, and Aspen Ladd defeats Leslie Rodriguez by unanimous decision.
- Sella Rube gets the split decsion over Alex Stobbe at the Kansas Fighting Alliance card in Kansas City, KS.
- At GE Fights in Terre Haute, IN, Nakita Rogers defeated Shakia Hughes by split decision
- In Biddeford, Maine at Fight Night 9, Valerie Aspaas defeats Maria Rios by unanimous decision
- At Ascend Combat in Shreveport, LA, Candace Eich takes the unanimous decision over Briana Rivera
MMA teenage sensation Mizuki Inoue gained her second straight S-cup tournament crown over the weekend, defeating Ai Takahashi in the finals of the tournament in Tokyo, Japan. Inoue defeated Izumi Noguchi in the quarterfinals and Miyo Yoshida in the semi-finals. She won all her bouts by unanimous decision.
Another teen standout, Mio Tsumura, also got her second S-cup crown winning the high school tournament. It would only take 67 seconds for Tsumura to get the KO over Yuuki Kira in the finals.
In non-tournament bouts:
- Rena Kubota def. Lorena Klijn by majority decision
- Mei Yamaguchi def. Chihiro Kira by unanimous decision
- Rena Matsuda def. Nako Otsuka by unanimous decision
- Akari Nakamura def. Tomomi Souda by unanimous decision
In Baden-Württemberg, Germany, Rola El Halabi was successful in her move up in weight as she defeated Dalia Vasarhelyi by unanimous decision to win the vacant WBF light welterweight title. Holly Holm vacated the title when she decided to focus on MMA. Halabi (12-1) recovered from her first ever loss with the win.
It only took WBC super flyweight champ Zulina Munoz 1:49 to KO Maribel Ramirez to retain her title in Toluca, México. Munoz (now 39-1-2) is on an 18 fight unbeaten streak.
In Whitehall, New York, Melissa St Vil got the unanimous decision over Sarah Kuhn to win the vacant IWBF welterweight title. St. Vil improves to 5-1-2.
In other boxing bouts:
- Jennifer Retzke and Florence Muthoni fight to a draw for the vacant IBO welterweight title in Brandenburg, Germany
- Francia Elena Bravo successfully defended her WBA Fedelatin featherweight title by getting the unanimous decision win over Paulina Cardona in Cerete, Colombia
- In Buenos Aires, Argentina, Gabriela Bouvier defeated Romina Elizabeth Alcantra by split decision
- Boxer turned MMA fighter Anita Rodriguez returned to the ring to defeat MMA tuend boxer Jordan Gaza by TKO at 0:27 of round 2 in Coprus Cristi, Texas. This was Gaza’s boxing debut.
- In Panama City, Panama, Sayda Mosquera KOs Veronica Taylor in round 1
—-Powered by Sidelines