Here’s what we know right now, with so many blanks to be filled in.
- Nothing’s done yet. The WNBA is talking to an investor group that appears to be on the outside of the Bay Area women’s basketball circle. Let’s just say this, people who usually know things, don’t know….
- The Warriors are definitely not involved…to be determined whether they will be an impediment….
- There’s no clear picture about where the team would land – Oakland, San Jose or San Francisco – but there have been talks with folks who run Oracle Arena in Oakland about whether something can be worked out…
- If it’s going to happen, it should come together in the next week or two…
- The league will want to make absolutely sure that this is a solid, financially sound deal and may still be looking for additional investors to join the group.
- If it’s not going to happen, all is not lost. The Bay Area is under serious consideration for an expansion team, but this is a tough opportunity to pass up with a team that has local name recognition and players with strong local ties….
- The league is going to miss the Maloofs, who always treated the Monarchs very, very well.
- Stay tuned and see my latest post on Fanhouse.