Hello there! If you’re reading for the first time or just stopping by for the fun, I’m doing a “Happy Holidays” wellness challenge to help you cultivate more health and happiness the rest of 2014. Catch up on the details on how to join and win the prizes. Or if it already sounds like a good idea, sign up below.
Scrub-a-dub-dub…Let’s Sing in the Tub
With our endless to-do lists and jam packed schedules it’s rare we find a minute to ourselves. If you’re like me, taking a break to recharge is vital to my sanity and stress managment. There’s one activity I find that is always relaxing (and necessary)…a shower! No matter the length of time I’m able to spend in that steamy porcelain palace it’s a phone-free, kid-free and stress-free zone.
I’m pretty certain everyone (including me) seems to love the sound of their voice in the shower. What’s so special about this private venue? Maybe it’s my tiled floor and porcelain tub and the steady tempo of the hot water to accompany as my back up vocals. There’s no doubt about it that the bathroom creates a pleasing acoustic environment.
How Singing Makes You Healthy and Happy
Singing is an ageless enjoyment. From the time of infancy we’ve been babbling tunes, either to ourselves or any listening ear. Some of the first songs we learned were nursery rhymes…over time that might have evolved into Busta Rhymes, but the point is singing is something we all enjoy.
Regardless if you sing off key there are health benefits that come along with belting out your favorite tunes.
- Singing improves our mood by releasing the same feel good brain chemicals as sex, chocolate, and childbirth (seriously, it does)
- It gives our lungs a workout by helping us breathe more deeply, taking in more oxygen so we feel more alert and energized
- Signing helps tone our abdominal muscles and strengthen our diaphragm to improve circulation and posture
- It boosts our confidence and helps strengthen our concentration and memory
Challenge: Sing Yourself Happy and Fit
This week give yourself permission to spend a few extra minutes suds-ing up in the shower…don’t just sing in the shower–perform! Sing loud and proud like your grammy nomination depends on it.
If you’re looking for some backing vocals create a free playlist on Pandora or join Spotify’s “Songs to Sing in the Shower” playlist for some favorite one-hit-wonders. ( They have playlists for everything!) Or maybe you prefer singing acapella, in that case Whitney and Mariah never steer me wrong.
My Favorite Songs to Sing
I’ll admit I’ve been secretly listening to holiday tunes before Thanksgiving, which is usually my guidelines. No matter the time of year these are some of my faves.
- Running – I love the entire Hairspray soundtrack, but I especially like “You Can’t Stop the Beat”. Who doesn’t love MJ? I absolutely love to run and sing and clap like I’m in a Baptist Church on Sunday to “Man in the Mirror”
- In the shower – My best friend and I loved Salt-n-Peppa growing up so I just can’t help it as I’m loofahing to chant out at least one “ooooh baby baby…. ba baby baby” from Push It.
- With my daughters – Every night before bed the each get their own rendition of “Maybe” from Annie. I love that song. I love the original movie and I’m so excited there will be a new one coming out on my birthday!
How about you? Leave a comment below on your favorite song to sing and you could win a free private coaching session with me (via Skype). You need to be signed up in the challenge to win.
If you’re not “officially” in the challenge yet, what are you waiting for? Sign up below. You’ll get weekly emails, along with my free guide to making over your kitchen with healthy food staples.
Challenge Your Friends
People do better with support from friends. (It’s a scientific fact!) Ask your friends to join you by sharing on social media or just send them this e-mail with the link to subscribe to the challenge.
Facebook: Join me and Rebecca Scritchfield for a free 60-day wellness challenge. Get healthier and happier this holiday season. http://wp.me/p2T0R-20c #HappyHolidaysChallenge
Twitter: I’m taking the #HappyHolidaysChallenge with @ScritchfieldRD. Join us http://wp.me/p2T0R-20c