So happy to finally announce I’m a member of Fresh Start Entertainment!!@jayfreshstart @DeanoCmac #wmma #IrishMMA https://t.co/ccGPRkL9vU
— Aoife Murphy (@Efi_Murphy) October 18, 2015
She’s pretty excited as you can imagine. And I was excited both for her, and because she said the interview which ran here get attention from Fresh Start Entertainment. Always great to know women can help other women get places, one step at a time.
Some Aoife Murphy factoids:
- Yes, her name is spectacularly Irish, It’s pronounced ” e-f-i” as in her Twitter handle
- She’s from Dublin, fighting out of C-Mac Gym, and stands 6ft tall so has the reach from hell as far as opponents are concerned.
- You can have your hair cut by Aoife in her day-job where she works with her mother and sisters.
- She has big-love for her mother, saying: “Without her I couldn’t live and train the way I do or give all this focus to fighting, I’m very grateful to work with her, she’s an enormous support and inspiration to me.”
- She prefers to cut weight by diet, seeing it as safer and more professional than some of the traditional last-minute saunas thanks to her Dublin trainer Dean O’ Sullivan
Is she ready for the international stage? Definitely, she told me:
“I’d prefer to be more active and to be able to fight on the big shows in Dublin and Belfast but at the same time the opportunity to travel and fight international opponents is one of the best parts of this sport. It’s a bigger challenge as a fighter and a privilege to be asked to perform for someone else’s home crowd and to help make their show exciting.”
And how committed is she to getting experience for MMA:
“Well, beggars can’t be choosers, I’m crying out for fights so I stay open to different disciplines so I can be active.
“MMA is my main focus and the sport I enjoy best but if K1 is all I can get I’ll do that, if there’s nothing on the horizon and I have the itch to compete I’ll look for a BJJ comp. I’m happy once I’m active and being challenged,” Aoife said.